RGB LED Cube is awesome, but it has many led leg to construct and price is high, so here is the cheapest component we can make with 64 RGB LED, You may have all parts DIY by your self, as we share the schematic and PCB layout.
The commercial version of this cube is no long in sell, pls visit https://8x8x8item.com/collections/shop
for 8x8x8 cube and 12x12x12cube
Basic Cube Kit with lots of animation and night light mode and music spectrum
Basic Kit Set
70x Common anode 5mm RGB LED
1x PCB smd parts pre-mounted
1x Stm32f103c8t6 Controller board all parts soldered
70x metal wire pre-cut pre straighten
1x Remote Controller without cr2025 battery
Upgrade kit (Not supplied before October)
5v2a USB power supply
Tools you will need
-Soldering Iron and solder wire/ solder paste
like this led cube pagehttps://www.facebook.com/3D-LED-CUBE-6920915842424...
Step 1: Soldering the PCB
The SMD parts are pre mounted, if you can print the PCB, here is some step for help
1. You can buy MCU controller board with stm32f103c8t6 MCU, just make sure all the I/O we need are able to route out.
2. Else we have about 20 smd parts to solder. refer to the schematic file.
3. There has a USB to TTL parts on the board, which can replace by USB to TTL programmer.
Here is a technique demo of the soldering, not the same board we need to soldering.
Step 2: Solering the LED
The Basic kit come with 3D printed soldering holder
You may download and print if you have 3D printer.
4 pins on the led can cut to even length first, then bend and insert to the holder, solder with copper wire on the guide gap.
The anode pin need to use an other holder holding 4 led stick and solder a copper wire horizontally.
Step 3: Correction of the PCB Marking
RGB pin on the PCB has marked in wrong position, refer to the picture for correction.
Step 4: Combine the LED to the PCB
After rgb pin connected with copper wire, there is a anode wire need one more copper wire connected to the PCB. Image will be posted later, from left to right column, from fouth to first layer.
Step 5: Schematic and PCB Layout
-currently the pcb is using smd parts, and may have somthing to edit, so we will upload it at last.
Step 6: Firmware Upload
Use mcuisp for upload firmware, you need to connect to the cube with a mini usb cable. There are two mini USB port, one for PC (USB), one for power (DC)
1. press EnumPort
2. Choose Port "free USB serial CH340"
4. Select Reser@DTR Low(<-3V),ISP@RST High
5.Click "..." loAD THE FIRMWARE FILE
6. Start ISP
Ch341 is the driver needed for the connection to PC
Step 7: The Acrylic Case Layout for Reference
No idea for the acrylic case supplies, may upload a design plan later.
Step 8: Using the Animation Creator and Remote Controller
The software fail to registration in Win10, you need a Win 7 or other PC, Software for AuraCube 8x8x8 will work on Win10
1. Registration, buy registration key which can only use for one computer but many cube.
2. Install CH341 driver for Win 8 7 XP
3. Create file and start to draw animation
4. File will save auto, send animation to the correct communication ports as your cube connected to PC.
Here is the link to all the software and animation shared, new animation and updated software will all save on this folder.
The remote controller
- button "3" for night light mode, button "4-9" change the color
- button "1" Music spectrum mode.
- button "0" Play animation send from animation software
- Button "<<"and">" can adjust the speed for animation upload from the software.
MarioLambertz made it!