Make sure you read your equipment manuals and use all safety gear recommended
This is a Christmas Ornament I made using a small hobby lathe and a piece of 2X2 scrap wood. It's very easy to make and this was the first time I used a lathe. I also used some small cutting tools. The bell is just under two inches long. I finished the bell with Min wax light oak stain and a gloss lacquer.
- Begin by selecting your wood, I used a small piece of pine
- Secure the wood in your lathe, following the manufacturers instructions
- Be sure you know how to handle your cutting tools and wear approved safety equipment
- Watch videos on wood turning, learn to turn safely
- Now your ready to try something
- Slowly carve the wood with your cutting tools, again following your manufacturers instructions
- Stop the lathe occasionally to look at the shape of your project especially when learning
- Have fun with a new and interesting experience
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.