6’ tall made from Red Oak.
The disc on the top is to support my hat and the fat ends on the coat arms are to help stop that sharp mark that can be left in heavy coats.
There is a umbrella ring to hang and hold things from and the base is dished to catch the water and not let it run all over your new floor.
My goal was to make everything on my Legacy CnC Router lathe, from scrapes left over from building my staircase. However - I did land up doing some work on other machines and by hand. in part because it would be quicker and some of the processes I came up with to build the part on my CnC would use an excessive amount of material or require me purchasing more wood. (sorry about the photo, I will take and put up a better picture soon )
For the top 2 sections (Hat and Coat Arm Center) I machined the shapes first then went back in and cut the joint, drilled the center out for the SS rod and finally parted the finished piece from the stock. This process used the full X Y Z and A ability of the machine.
The 6 Coat Arms and Ends were cut from flat wood stock, using just the X Y on a jig that allowed the parts to be accurately flipped over and have the same compound curved cut as the first side. (The success of this jig is the control points. When i drew up my design in Autocad i centered the ;design within a 4 hole (point) rectangle. So when I flip the wood stock end over end on the bed of the CnC, I only have to flip the Autocad file, to pull the coordenates for a reverse of the cut. The Arms were simple glued into the center section, but the Ends were glued and screwed hence the button on the front is to hide the screw. I turned the hat plate on a standard lathe, there is also a button cap hiding the end of the SS rod.
The top and bottom Uprights are identical with the middle having a center ring for detail. All of the coat rack components are connected by a SS rod through their centers.
The Umbrella Ring Centre was machined the same as the Coat Arm Centre. I built a jig to hold and cut down the arms, but the ends were hand finished on a drill press (Pillar drill we call it in the UK)
For the ring I cut lengths of wood 1/32 think on a table saw. Made a positive and negative ring as a form to clamp the laminate to. (When you make this ring jig don’t forget to cut holes in the forms for the clamps to pull and push on). I tapered the first and last 4”s of the laminate strips on a sander to nothing to better blend the curve and hold the true diameter of the ring without having to do excessive finishing. I used slow setting epoxy glue to give myself as much time as possible to get the strips laid in and clamped. (Protect your clamps and work surfaces with plastic wrap to stop the glue sticking to them). I did not worry about the glue getting on the wood, but did clean off as much as possible to make things easier latter on.
The base assembly is made up of a number of components.
I turned up the upper and lower discs and the drip tray on a standard lathe with holes in the center.
The leg shape was machined using same method as on the Coat Arms. The back end (center) of the legs were shaped at the center to 120° so when the pieces were glued up with the discs the SS rod located and clamped the whole section. I hand fettled a reverse angle toe to both raise the foot from the floor, give a nicer profile to the foot and flatten the foot to stand better on a hard surface.
All edges were hand sanded to take off any sharps, then stained to match the floor and stair parts in my home. Then 2 coats of clear varnish and
Shabam - one finished coat rack.
If anyone would love to have a go but not sure quite how to start please ask, I would to be glad to help where i can.
Good luck and have fun creating - something :)