This is my first attempt at building a waterproof camera enclosure. It is designed to fit a flashlight spy camera available from various online retailers for about 45$. I wanted something that wouldn't add too much bulk to the camera. I tried to do the entire build with materials readily avialable from hardware stores. The acrylic sheet was scrounged from another project. It might take a little bit of searching to find the thicker acrylic.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Materials
4 1/2" of 1-1/2" PVC pipe
1 1-1/2" end cap
1 1-1/2" threaded clean out
Acrylic Sheet ( as thick as you can find in this case 10mm)
PVC Adhesive and Pretreatment (Purple Stuff)
Epoxy ( I used JB weld but 5min epoxy would work. Other resins might need thickening)
Teflon Thread Tape
Stainless Steal Eye Hook
Epoxy Plumbing Putty
Step 2: Cut Out Acrylic Circle
You can use the end of the PVC pipe as a template to draw a circle on the plastic. Notice that I have left on the protective paper to avoid scratches. I cut the circle using the jig saw. In the picture it doesn't look perfectly round. I cut outside the line, then used a file and sandpaper to finish. It also allowed me to fine tune the disk until it fit snugly into the end cap.
Step 3: PVC Parts
I used the plain end cap to help hold the acrylic on. This protects and reinforces the acrylic window. It also makes for more glued surface area and a longer path for water to reach the interior.
I cut a hole in the center of the end cap using the hole saw. The hole is a smaller diameter than the acrylic disk. Smooth off the burs using the sandpaper.
I cut the pipe to length using the jig saw and smoothed off the burs.
Step 4: Dry Fit Then Glue
I did a dry fit of the pieces to make sure they fit. I sanded and filed the acrylic so that it fit snug in the end cap. I also tested how the camera would fit in the enclosure.
I stripped off the protective paper around the edge of the acrylic where it would come into contact with the PVC. I bedded the acrylic in a layer of JB weld spread around the lip of the opening of the cap. I place a weight on the acrylic and let it cure for 24 hours.
Final fit time. Use the purple solvent then PVC glue on all the glued surfaces then pressure fit. I used a bar clamp to compress the ends and ensure a tight fit. When done right this actually "welds" the PVC together.
Step 5: Fit the Camera
Step 6: Attachment Point
The Idea was to have the camera hang down from a line with a Fishing jig below it. I drilled a hole in the end cap just big enough to fit the end of an eye hook. I fixed the eye hook in place with a nut then filled in the end cap with epoxy plumbing putty. This makes the end cap a solid piece of plastic and should keep out any water.
I tested it out in my fish tank and a pond with no leakage. Next.....the gulf of Maine.