I have made a few spoons lately so I figured it was time to make a canister to hold them.I made 2, 1 is about 6" outside diameter and the other is about 4.5" outside.
Step 1: I Used
I didn't have access to a table saw when I decided to make these so I just started with 2x8 pine.I also used packing tape, waterproof glue and a sliding miter saw.
Step 2: Cutting. Prepping and Gluing the Pieces
There are a few online segment calculators, I recommend using one so you wind up with the diameter you want. While I don't recommend cross-cutting lumber for mugs, I think it is fine for canisters. Having said that, I set the blade to 15° and set a stop to give me about 1 3/8" wide (on the wide side) for the smaller canister and 1 3/4" wide (wide side) for the larger one. 15° cuts require 12 pieces and I just flipped my board over every cut so the angles would be the right way.I left the pieces for the large canister the full 7.5" but I cut the pieces for the smaller one down to 6". Once I had the pieces cut, I lined them up small side down against a straight edge and used packing tape to hold the pieces together. Then just slide onto a piece of plywood to flip over to glue. As far as glue-up, be sure to use waterproof glue so it can be washed, but I just used a small piece of edge banding I had left over as a scraper to spread the glue. If anyone has an easier way to glue these, let me know. After glue is spread between all the pieces, use the plywood again to stand it up. Then just pull the ends together, glue and tape together.
Step 3: Sanding
I let the glue dry overnight before I touched the canisters. I used my block plane to knock off the edges, then the disk sander to get the canisters closer to round. Then I switched to a random orbital sander with 60 grit to clean up the outside and my newly made drum sander to sand the inside. I used 2 way tape to tape sandpaper down to a piece of plywood so i could sand the bottom flat before gluing on, well, the bottom.
Step 4: Glue Up and Finish
I just traced the canister bottoms on pine, cut it out close to the line and glued and clamped together. A few hours later i used a flush trim bit to bring the bottom down to size. Some sanding until i was happy with the look then stain and seal. I used butcher block finish mixed with mineral oil but I have used beeswax/mineral oil on bowls and it seems to work well.
Participated in the
Epilog Challenge 9