This is a simple recipe to make a nutritious and delicious vegan dish with sprouted whole green gram lentils. Here the whole green gram lentils are soaked in water overnight and then tied in a wet cotton cloth to make them sprout. The sprouted lentils are then boiled or pressure cooked and then tempered with healthy vegetable oils like rice bran oil. Garnishing the dish with grated coconut, mint and coriander leaves add more taste and flavor.
Step 1: Soak the Lentils in Water
- Take about 250 grams of whole green gram lentils and soak them in clean water overnight.
- The dish made with 250 grams will serve four to five people. You can adjust the quantity as required.
Step 2: Tie the Soaked Lentils in Cotton Cloth
- In the next morning, remove the soaked lentils from water and wash them in fresh water.
- Place the lentils in a wet cotton cloth and tie it with a rubber band or thread.
Step 3: Let the Lentils Sprout
- Place the tied lentils with cotton cloth in a vessel. Keep little amount of water in the vessel so that the cloth does not become dry.
- Add little amount of water to the vessel at intervals if required.
- In about two days time, the lentils will start to sprout through the cotton cloth.
- Transfer the sprouted lentils from the cloth to another vessel
Step 4: Wash and Pressure-Cook
- Now wash the sprouted lentils two to three times in clean water. Most of the skin from lentils can also be removed while cleaning.
- Place the lentils in a pressure cooker and add little amount of water just to cover the lentils.
- Add salt to taste
- Pressure cook the lentils for about five minutes and remove from the stove
Step 5: Temper the Pressure-Cooked Lentils
- Heat a pan over medium flame and add a tablespoon of Rice Bran oil
- Finely chop one medium sized onion and add to the oil
- Add finely chopped garlic and a bunch of Curry leaves
- Break one or two dried red chillies into pieces and add to the oil
- Cook well till raw smell disappears
Step 6: Add Pressure-Cooked Green Gram Lentils
- Now add the pressure-cooked green gram lentils to the pan and mix well.
- Keep on low flame till water present in the cooked lentils evaporates.
Step 7: Garnish and Serve
- Once the dish is free of water, add half a cup of grated coconut
- Mix well and remove from stove
- Transfer the dish to the serving bowl.
- Garnish with mint and coriander leaves and serve
This is one of the delicious and nutritious dish we make from time to time with all types of whole lentils.
Runner Up in the
Vegan Food Challenge
Barnikule made it!