Introduction: AP Physics Wave Instructable
Instructions on how to build a standing wave model to show how frequency changes with wavelength.This demo shows how frequency and wavelength are indirectly proportional. This model does apply to sound waves found in a tube. This shows one of the fundamental relationships in certain sound waves.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Acquire Materials
- Acquire large wood board mine was 15 in X 48 in X 1 in.
- Acquire 1 Slinky.
- Acquire 1 pair of scissors.
- Acquire 1 hot glue gun and lots of hot glue.
- Acquire duct tape.
- Acquire 6 golf tees.
- Acquire 1 tape measure.
- Acquire 1 Stapler and lots of staples.
Step 2: Attach Slinky
- Stretch out slinky across board.
- Slinky should have medium tension. Can be stretched but not loose.
- Cut slinky to stretched out length.
- Place one end of slinky on middle of one side of the board.
- Attach with hot glue
- Allow to dry
- Place staples over the hot glue
- Place another layer of hot glue
- Allow to dry
- Overlap hot glue with duct tape
- Repeat with other end of slinky to other side of board
Step 3: Tee Locations
- Measure halfway between center of slinky and top of board. Mark with piece of duct tape.
- Measure halfway between center of slinky and bottom of board. Mark with piece of duct tape.
- Measure: 25%,33%,50%,66%,75% from left to right and mark with pieces of duct tape. For my 48 inch board it was: 12 in, 16 in, 24 in, 32 in, 36 in.
- Connect points to location that meets vertical and horizontal componment as follows: 25% Bottom, 33% Top, 50% Bottom and top, 66% bottom, 75% bottom.
- Mark above locations with pieces of duct tape.
- Remove all pieces of duct tape except for the 6 locations listed above.
Step 4: Attaching Tees
- Remove one piece of duct tape
- Place a large amount of glue in location where duct tape piece was
- Immediatley place tee in the middle of the hot glue puddle and firmly press down
- Hold until hot glue dries
- Repeat with every piece of duct tape
Step 5: Finishing Touch
- Add numbers below tees as seen in final picture
Ms. Monticue. Teaching physics
Dad. For financing operation