- Although I was not planning to have a stuffed Avocado for my luncheon today, an article posted on Facebook concerning the fact that Avocado seeds were edible prompted me to prepare this recipe. I had one nice, ripe, Haas Avocado "resting" in the refrigerator and, since I would have to split it in half to get to the seed, I thought I might as well make a stuffed Avocado for my lunch.
The recipe for the stuffed Avocado follows, however, after tasting the seed I will put any thoughts I had about eating it on hold until I have conducted further research into this subject!.
Step 1: INGREDIENTS (2 Servings)
- 1 Haas Avocado, split in half, seed removed
- 3 oz. *Kanimi Crab Smart Imitation Crab Flakes, shredded or pulled apart by hand
- 2 TBS Mayonnaise (I used Duke's Light Mayo with Olive Oil)
- 1 tsp Sweet Pickle Relish
- 1 rounded teaspoon Wasabi Paste
- 1/4 teaspoon Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Coarse Ground Black Pepper
- 1 rounded teaspoon raw Honey (optional; see step 2)
- *NOTE: This recipe would be excellent if made with freshly cooked crab, shrimp, or lobster meat. I only used the imitation crab meat because I had a package in the refrigerator.
Step 2: PREPARATION
- Using a glass or ceramic bowl, mix together the Mayo, Wasabi Paste,, relish, and S&P.
- Add the crab meat to the bowl, mix thoroughly and taste. I felt my mixture needed to be sweetened, so I added 1 well rounded teaspoon of raw honey. This resulted in what I felt was an excellent spicy sweet stuffing
- Split the avocado in half; remove and discard the seed (unless you are tempted to experiment with it as I was), and brush the open halves of the fruit with Lemon Juice (this helps to prevent the cut flesh from turning brown, and does add to the flavor)
- Spoon and mound the Crab meat mixture into and on top of the Avocado halves and sprinkle with Paprika (I forgot to do this), and you are ready to plate and serve them.
Step 3: TIME TO EAT . . .
- I elected to serve the crab stuffed avocado halves atop fresh Green Leaf lettuce leaves, along with a few crispy Gluten-free Brown Rice Rice Thins flavored with White Cheddar Cheese. If I had planned ahead, I would probably have selected Red Leaf Lettuce leaves because of their contrasting color.
- I have calculated the nutrition of this recipe to the best of my ability using the MyFitnessPal Recipe Analyzer. Click on the image to enlarge.