Ackee and Saltfish is Jamaica’s national dish. It can be eaten any time or any day of the week. However, it is traditionally served as a breakfast meal on Saturday and/or Sunday, or on special occasions.
Step 1: Ingredients
- 1/2 lb. Saltfish (codfish)
- 1 dozen ackees or 1 can of ackee
- 1 large onion
- 1 large red bell pepper (sweet pepper)
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper (sliced)
- 1 small tomato
- 1 small minced garlic
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp black pepper
Step 2: Method
- Soak Salt fish in water for at least 15 mind prior to cooking to get rid of excessive salt.
- Boil Salt fish for another 15 mins to soften flakes
- Clean the ackee. Remove the seeds and all traces of interior red pit from the ackees.
- Wash the ackee approximately 5 times.
- Place to boil until fairly soft.
- Once soft, drain the water and sit aside
- Once the Salt fish is boiled, flake and remove all bones
- Dice the onions, sweet peppers, tomatoes then put to saute in a medium frying pan until soft.
- Add Salt fish flakes and mix with veg. Add sliced scotch bonnet peppers. Add salt and black pepper to season.
- Add ackees and mix until the veg and salt fish are evenly distributed.
- Pour into serving plate, serve with roasted or fried bread fruit, boiled or fried dumpling, boiled bananas or fried plantain
DainiiS made it!