After recently purchasing a Sony Action Camera, I was in need of a place to keep it safe for my travels later this year. I had a look around the house for some potential materials that I could use to make something myself. This is a simple project that take could be done in an afternoon. Hope you enjoy.
Step 1: Sourcing Materials
The materials and tools are:
1. Foam - I had some from my Macbook Pro box
2. Old smartphone box - big enough to store camera and accessories
3. Pencil and paper for tracing
4. Scissors, exacto knife and pins.
Step 2: Measuring and Tracing Camera
To make sure that the depth of the box will fit the camera, put the box next to 1 layer of foam and the camera.
Measure the inner length and width of the box and copy to paper. Then place the camera where you would like it on the paper and trace around it. Cut out and secure with pins for cutting.
Step 3: Cut Out the Foam
Once you're happy with the position of the camera, cut out the shape of it on the paper.
Since the lens of the camera was larger than the body, I cut out an indent with the precision knife to accommodate for this in the first layer. (bottom left picture)
For the second and third layer of foam, I experimented between using the precision knife vs. using scissors to cut out the outline of the camera. The exacto knife allows you to cut through the foam like a saw, producing rough edges. Using scissors, cutting into corners produced a much straighter edge. If I had my time again, I would've just used the scissors. Use the exacto knife for touch ups.
Step 4: Final Touches
Add all the layers on top of each other (I did 3 layers) and place the camera in the cut out. It's best too be to tight then too loose as you do not want the camera to move about within the box.
I have only done the cutout for the camera so far. I'll be doing one for the SD card container and micro USB cable. Once I've bought a spare battery, then I'll do a cutout for that as well. Once I've completed the box, I will glue the layers together.
I would also recommend getting dense foam as this would be easier to cut out with. The foam I used was very flimsy.