Intro: Add a Roof to the House
Step 1: Adding the Roof
With the walls and doors complete it’s time to add the roof. Adding the roof can be done by dragging the green roof object on to the workplane, then raising it off the workplane 10mm to match the top of the walls, and then aligning and sizing it.
- A green Roof shape on the Workplane.
- With the green Roof shape selected, use the black arrow on top to lift the shape 10mm up off the Workplane, so the bottom of the roof is aligned with the top of the walls.
- Select both shapes and align the roof to the middle of the house and to one end of the wall shape.
- Once aligned, select only the green Roof and use the black dots at its base to begin sizing it to be slightly larger than the walls, so the roof hangs over the edge of the walls. Note: In Architecture the overhang is called an Eave and is used for both styling and protecting siding on the house.
- Once properly aligned, the house should look similar to the image below.
- Continue to the next step.
Step 2: Group the Roof and Walls
You can finish the house by grouping the roof with the walls.
Doing this will turn the building a single color, but the multi-color option can be used to maintain the original shape colors even while they are grouped together.
- Select both shapes and group them into a single object.
Note: Grouping the shapes should make them both the same color. Depending on the order the parts were selected your house will either be completely red or completely green, either is perfectly fine.
- To keep the original shape colors within the new group, select the new shape and expand the color panel from the Inspector window.
- At the bottom of that panel you will see a checkbox called "Multi-Color".
Check this box to maintain the original shape colors within the new group. After checking the box the color indicator in the Inspector panel will show all the colors that are in the group as stripes.
- Congratulations! You have completed your Tinkercad house.
In the next lesson, you will learn how to create a simple floor plan of your house.
Next Lesson:Create a Floor Plan of Your House