This could be 2 instructables: hacking an off-the shelf LCD screen into a smaller package, and adding an A/V output to your DVD.
The premise is that I needed to have MORE than 2 screens for the in-car DVD player we take on road trips.
I used an INTEC 5.6" screen for Playstation 2 (chubby) bought off Craigslist for $15. Not having the requisite PS2 for it to clip on (I don't do games, sorry) I decided it needed a new shell.
I'd like to have had a better screen to use; this one has atrocious contrast and poor color, but hey, this one is going in front of the 2-year-old and it was CHEAP.
My DVD player is an RCA dual-screen purchased from Tiger Direct. It has served us well on road trips before, but new additions to the family require more viewable screens. I could have bought a second DVD/LCD combo, but that would mean I would have to climb back to start DVD's twice as often. And I am lazy.
Step 1: Free the LCD
This step involves dismantling the original frame to obtain access to the parts.
Step 2: Preparing to Add an Output Jack to Your Existing Player
Here I opened up the existing DVD player and found the correct pins to solder to for A/V output.
First, I de-soldered the camcorder jack from my dead camcorder. This jack allows composite video and L/R audio through the associated 'camcorder' cable. Since the add-on screen had composite and L/R RCA jacks, this was the natural choice. Also, desoldering braid is a beautiful thing, if you have never used it ;)
Next I plugged the camcorder cable into its own jack and used the continuity function on my multimeter to find which pins corresponded to the rings on the plug.
Lastly, I opened up the case for the DVD player and I plugged the AV jacks into the Master player to determine which contacts on the board corresponded to RCA pins.
Hopefully I have labeled all the pinouts correctly, but when in doubt...check continuity!
Step 3: Placing the Jack in the DVD Player
Once I had a jack wired with the correct jumpers and the jumpers correctly attached to the Board, it was time to attach the new jack.
There was plenty of room in the back of the main DVD unit. I just drilled a hole and glued in the jack.
I used quick-set epoxy on the 'shoulders' of the jack (where the faces would solidly meet) and used hot-glue to strengthen the connector once the epoxy was set.
I think a little epoxy made it into the plug, because it is exceptionally snug now finished. It works, though.
Step 4: Making the New Case
This step involves modifying a container in which to put the 'third screen."
I used a $1 pencil box from a Dollar Store.
What was nice was that it was nearly clear, so to cut out all the holes, I just held the components behind and traced with a Sharpie.
I used a Dremel to cut all the slots and openings, and a couple of files here and there to smooth out lines.
The REAL last step is to cut slots to run strips of velcro through so I can attach it to a car seat.
Hope you liked it.