Intro: Afinia, Up, 3D Printer LED Light
So if any of you guys owns a Up 3D printer or a Afinia 3D printer (or many of the alike printers out there) you know how annoying it is not able to see what's going on when the printer is printing. So I build a Y cable to split the fan power into a small LED light and use magnet on the LED light so I can shine light anywhere I want.
- I get to see what's printing, how is it printing, or how is it not printing.
- Makes it much easier to see the gap between the print head and the print bed. So you can align the space much easier.
- You got ta make sure the wire is not going to get in the way.
- Make sure you have a resistor restricting the current it is drawing from the 12V fan power source
What you will need:
- Wires, wire strippers, soldering gun
- resistor for LEDs
- USB thumb drive for LED housing. (Optional)
- Magnet (Optional)
Step 1: Take Apart an Old LED Flashlight
Well first find some LEDs and find the right resistor for it. In general I give each LED about 20mA of current. So by using the Ohm's Law (V= IR) i calculated the resistance (R) I need. Next step, solder them together. If you are not familiar with LEDs, make a quick Google search.
I just found an old LED flashlight and took it apart. Installed the resistor and get it ready to be wired up with the printer power source.
Step 2: Here Is the 12V Power Source
So the power source is on the top left of the board above your printer head. You can stick a wire into the red and another wire to the black and link the red to the positive of the LED and the black to the negative to power your LED.
Be sure to turn your 3D printer OFF!!! So you will not short any wires. Only turn it on when its all wired up. Double check to prevent wires from crossing each other.
Step 3: Y Cable Provide Power to Your LED Light
So... hook it up to your power source. Turn your printer on to see if it lights up. If it does not, most likely you need to switch the positive and negative wires.
I used a magnet to help me position my light.
And you are done!