A nice cakey cookie with the flavors of almond and poppy seeds.
1 and 3/4 sticks unsalted butter
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 TB almond extract
2 TB poppy seeds
2/3 cup chopped almonds (optional)
The photos illustrate a halved recipe, since I didn't need dozens of cookies in the house. Your portions will be bigger if you make the full recipe which yields about 3 dozen.
Step 1: Creaming the Butter and Sugar
1-3. I had to hand cream my butter and sugars, so the first two photos are a solution to that problem. I grated cold butter and whipped it into the sugars with a fork. If you have a hand or stand mixer, you do not need to grate your butter and can just use the machine to cream the butter and sugars together.
4. Add in the eggs and beat well.
Step 2: Final Mixing
1. Gently stir in the almond extract, poppy seeds and, optional chopped almond.
2. Sift or sprinkle the flour, salt, and baking soda into the wet ingredients and mix until the flour is incorporated.
3. The dough will be sticky, you can add a little more flour if it is too difficult to work with.
4. Drop tablespoons of dough onto a greased cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees F for 10-12 minutes or until the edges start to brown.
Step 3: Out of the Oven
You can sprinkle the cookies with powdered sugar or leave them plain. Store in an airtight container.