I know that there's a lot of Altoids tin projects out there, and that a lot of them are survival kits. I can understand why. They are easy to make and almost anyone can make it. Altoids tins are useful and people keep them and use them for various things.
I have copied ideas from several websites and maybe One or Two instructables, and i take no credit for them and will link to them.
Well, let's get started.
Step 1: Things You Need
* Dart (just the fin needed)
* Duct Tape
* 10 Matches
* Sewing Needle
* Fishing line (30 lbs. is what i used)
* Hacksaw Blade
* 5 Fishing Hooks
* Razor Blade
* Swiss Tech Utilikey (optional, i used it for the blade)
* Aluminum soda can
* Small Trash Bag
* 1 Quart sized bag
* Magnesium Bar/Flint combo (cut in half with a Dremel or other tool)
* 2 split shot fishing weights
* PSK Survival sheet www.troop149mchenry.org/PSKsheet.htm
* Dental floss
Step 2: Special Items
* Duct tape- I wrapped it around itself in a flat roll
* Aluminum can- I cut it into strips to form a whistle if needed. Instructions- americanbushman.blogspot.com/2009/04/soda-can-whistle.html
* Hacksaw blade- I snapped it to a shorter piece
* Dart fin and 4 matches- Used for a match dart. You will also need 2 tiny rubber bands. www.instructables.com/id/quick-and-easyThrowing-darts/
* Fishing line- I wrapped it around a small bolt and put a nut on the other end. I then wrapped it in electrical tape.
* Bags- i wrapped them with tiny rubber bands. The quart sized one has 1 cup markings for water purification tablets if you choose to include them.
* 6 matches- I wrapped them in scotch tape except for the heads, and dipped the heads in wax to waterproof them.
* Needle- i used a magnet to magnetize to put on a leaf and make a compass. I tested it out against a real compass and it pointed true north.
* Magnesium bar/ flint combo- I cut it in half with a dremel to save space. I still have the other piece if needed.
Step 3: Packing the Tin
Since a picture is worth a thousand words, so here's 5,000 words.
Step 4: Final Words
You don't have to make your tin exactly like this, this is just a starting point. The main things you have to cover are water, Fire, Shelter, and Food. This won't get you shelter, so i carry a "space blanket" in my other pockets when i carry this. You might also want to remove the cotton balls and add more important things like a wire saw. I also carry water purification tablets outside of the tin to cover the water portion, even though you can boil water in the tin.