I started with a Turtle Beach Earforce XL1 headset that was originally purchased for Xbox360 use. The cord entering the headset was broken and was not usable without repair.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Jack It Up
Next I disassembled the volume control unit and gutted it of all electronics, discarding the RCA line level jacks and USB plug. I then soldered a headphone extension cord and detachable speaker cord directly to the headset cord. You will need to look inside the headset to determine wire colors for SPKR R+, L+, GND, Mic+, and Mic-.
Step 2: Say Yes to Pot
Next I placed the wires and soldered connections spaced out inside the volume control housing and screwed it together. I then potted unit with epoxy for structural integrity and wiring insulation.
Step 3: Ready, Set, GAME
Voila, a free to me analog gaming PC headset built from a free headset and stuff from my recycled electronics tote. Sound is awesome and much more comfortable than my old USB headset.