Hello Hungry Internet Connoisseur, if you are reading this Instructable in search of an easy to make, tasty and beloved by all snack then you have come to the right place! Andes Mountain Mint Bars are easy to make, and are popular through all ages! It is even made with mostly common household ingredients (minus the food coloring) and is worth the very minimal time and energy it takes to make. I decided to make this a photo heavy Instructable as my friend Will did an amazing job with photography and should be appreciated as such.
Step 1: Ingredients
1. 1 sticks butter
2. 1 cup powdered sugar
3. 1 table spoon milk
4. A dash of mint extract (to flavor)
5. A few drops of green food coloring (or any other color if you want to get festive)
Chocolate Layer (x 2)
1. 1 stick of butter
2. Cup of chocolate chips
Step 2: Chocolate Layer #1
Although the chocolate layers are perhaps the simplest and easiest to make part of this recipe, it really brings the recipe together. Once you get past the obscene amount of butter used you can drown in unique minty chocolaty ecstasy.
1. Melt a stick of butter and a cup of chocolate chips in the microwave at 50% power (may vary based on microwave) until soft enough to blend.
2. Whip the newly formed chocolatey butter until smooth
Step 3: Finishing First Layer
1. Pour evenly into a pan of your choice and spread evenly
2. Insert into freezer while you are creating your other layers
The freezing process is done so that adding layers doesn't destroy the integrity of those underneath. Please make sure that the layer is sufficiently cooled and hardened before adding more.
Step 4: Onto the Mint!
The Mint mixture can be changed to add your own personal flair to things! If you suddenly have an insatiable urge to create an American flag imbued in a chocolate heaven, hey, who am I to stop you?
1. Melt yet another stick of butter
2. Mix with one cup powdered sugar
3. Add one tablespoon of milk
Step 5: Finishing the Mint
1. Add a few drops of mint extract until the previously made paste is sufficiently minty.
2. Add a some drops of green (or any other food coloring) to the paste until it is a color of your liking
Step 6: Second Layer Is Finished!
Now comes a bit of a tricky part.
1.Remove the previously made chocolate layer from the freezer
2. Test if the chocolate mixture has congealed enough to take pressure
3. If not put back into freezer and wait. Go read a book or something.
4. If so, pour Mint Icing onto chocolatey layer making sure to spread evenly
5. Return it back to its icy homeland in
Winterfell *The Freezer
As seen in the pictures below a variation was made where instead of a first layer of chocolate we made it with chocolate chip brownies. The possibilities are endless :D
Step 7: Repeat Step #2
Read the title.
Enjoy these pictures while you make the 3rd and final layer of your beautiful snack.
Step 8: Pulling It All Together!
1. Remove the dually layered bar out of the freezer
2. Once again test the surface with a spoon or other prodding device for tensile strength
3. If it is chilled enough to take another layer continue, if not return it to the freezer and wait
4. Add your last layer! You are almost to the point were your taste buds get to dance majestically in the mint chocolate waves
Step 9: Finishing Notes
Allow the bar to acclimate to room temperature and solidify a bit more before cutting. Make your own judgements on this one.
The great thing I love about this recipe is it allows for anyone to use it for any sort of dessert. You could even make one or two layers to top a cake or your favorite Ben & Jerry's Icecream. Just remember to have fun and clean up when you are finished.
First Prize in the
Copycat Recipes Contest