Hack simple store–bought holiday lights flash in fun rhythms!
- Sparkfun protosnap
- basic breadboard
- several 1 kilo-ohms resistors
- several jump wires
- cheap LED holiday lights
- a plier
- Remove bottoms of christmas lights
- plug your Sparkfun or Arduino into your breadboard
- In order, plug in the resistor, LED, and jump wires
- Connect your LEDs to respective pins
- ground your circuit (schematic and images above)
- upload code! (code available as attachment)
Cheap replacement LED holiday lights
The files are available for download above.
"Dimming" : Shorter int call version
"Dimming2" :The long, original version
"Blink":simply blinking without fading
You can find the original Arduino code at Files>Examples>BasicsEdit the pinMode numbers to match the Sparkfun pinMode numbers you connected to.
The code for my specific solution is in a screen shot above.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.