## UPDATED WITH CODE, SCHEMATICS AND PARTS WITH LINKS ##
= Introduction =
Hi everyone! This is my first instructable!
After reading hundreds of instructables, I decided to make one myself!
As a brazilian, my mother language is portuguese. So, please be patient with my english.
= What did I make? =
I have built an animated Sonic Ruler using an Arduino, an HC-SR04, a buzzer, two resistors, some wires and a LCD Display. I also used an expansion module for Arduino (optional) and a breadboard. It had a very defying coding and debugging, but now I see it did worth the effort!
The mounting should be easy if you have already mounted some gadgets on breadboards, so any Arduino enthusiast can actually build it! Even begginers!
= Why did I make it? =
There are many projects so far using a HC-SR04 as a measurement gadget, but I have seen none using an animated LCD and a buzzer integrated. This one got style and personality!
My project can also be used as a parking sensor. Just by adding some meters of wire you can actually install this on your vehicle to make sure you'll never hit that wall again.
Step 1: Gathering Materials...
- 1 x Arduino UNO Rev 3 (Clone) board; @ $28.49
- 1 x HC-SR04 ultrasonic sensor; @ $2.99
- 1 x Mini-breadboard; @ $1.79
- 1 x Expansion Module for Arduino (OPTIONAL); @ $8.30 (Already comes with breadboard)
- 1 x Common buzzer; @ $3.40 (5 piece pack)
- 1 x LCD Display (16x2); @ 3.80
- 1 x 2.2K Ohm Resistor; @ 5.24 (400 piece pack)
- 1 x 220 Ohm Resistor; @ comes on the pack up ahead
- A bunch of wires/breadboard jumpers. @ 3.41 (65 cable pack)
Total cost (suposing you already have an Arduino - do the math) = LESS THAN 10 DOLLARS!!!
Step 2: Breadboard Mounting and Wiring
Mount the components using these images as guidelines. The most important thing is to make the connections as follows:
- LCD VSS pin to ground;
- LCD VDD pin to +5V;
- 2K2Ohm resistor: ends to LCD VO pin and ground;
- LCD RS pin to digital pin 9;
- LCD R/W pin to ground;
- LCD Enable pin to digital pin 8;
- LCD D4 pin to digital pin 5;
- LCD D5 pin to digital pin 4;
- LCD D6 pin to digital pin 3;
- LCD D7 pin to digital pin 2;
- LCD A pin to +5V;
- LCD K pin to ground;
- Buzzer + to 220Ohm Resistor leg and - to ground. The other resistor leg goes to pin 12.;
- HC-SCR GND to ground;
- HC-SCR Echo to pin 11;
- HC-SCR Trig to pin 10; and
- HC-SCR Vcc to +5V.
Step 3: Code & Upload
Here goes the code:
And the sounds library used with the code:
DO NOT FORGET TO PUT THE SOUNDS LIBRARY IN THE SAME FOLDER OF THE .INO FILE!
Step 4: Final Thoughts
At this project you have learned how to use the HC-SR04 and the LCD with Arduino.
Feel free to make yourself one! And once you make it, why not to make it more permanent, by putting it on a PCB? Why not to embed it in a 3D printed case?
Use your creativity!
Thank you for reading!
Participated in the
qamarsk made it!