Introduction: Apple Ginger Pie Pops
I found this apple pie pop recipe online and thought it would be fun to make. I am so excited about how well the crust turned out and the filling. This is an awesome recipe! I wanted to make heart shaped one because they looked so cute. Unfortunately I did not have a large shaped heart cookie cutter. I modified it a little by adding crystallized ginger yum! This will be another family favorite recipe:http://shopgirlmaria.blogspot.com/2011/11/ten-days-of-apples-day-6-cute-factor.html .
Step 1: Ingredients
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt
4 oz (1 stick) unsalted butter, chilled and diced
1/8 cup to 1/4 cup (depending on how much you need) ice water
*You will also need 1 egg white and some water or heavy cream/milk to brush the tops of these before baking.
2 apples, peeled, cored and very finely chopped
1 1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
*OR* If you are short on time, you could always use canned apple pie filling!
Step 2: Supplies
- Cookie sheet
- Cookie cutters
- Mixing spoon
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Rolling pin
- Pastry brush
- Lolly pop sticks or skewers
- Parchment paper
- Saran wrap
Step 3: Dough Recipe
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 oz (1 stick) unsalted butter, chilled and diced
- 1/8 cup to 1/4 cup (depending on how much you need) ice water
- *You will also need 1 egg white and some water or heavy cream/milk to brush the tops of these before baking.
Step 4: Filling Recipe
- 2 apples, peeled, cored and very finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- *OR* If you are short on time, you could always use canned apple pie filling!
- I added 1 T Crystallized Ginger
The next time I make this I will blend a few of the apples and maybe add lemon juice and a little more sugar instead of water and flour and see what happens.
Placing a lemon in the microwave for 15-20 seconds will help juice the lemon much better.
Let it set for 5-10 minutes before you slice the lemon or it will squirt all over.
Step 5: Dough Preparation
- First, prepare your dough. In your mixing bowl or food processor, mix together the flour, sugar and salt.
- Then add cubed butter and mix until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Then, while mixing, begin adding the ice water.
- Add enough of it for a dough to form.
- Then, wrap it in plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
Step 6: Making the Filling
- You can prepare your apple mixture, by mixing the apples, sugar, cinnamon and lemon juice in a small bowl.
- Remember: I added water and flour because I think she may have not included that.
- Prepare the dough board and set out the cookie cutters.
Step 7: Rolling the Dough
- Now take your dough out, and roll it out on a floured surface, to about the same thickness you would roll a sugar cookie dough out to.
- Using your cookie cutters, cut your shapes out (you want to stick to circles or hearts, they are easiest to fill with the filling).
Step 8: Filling
- Line your baking sheet with parchment paper, and place half of your cut out shapes on it. Gently press a lollipop stick onto each of the shapes, then spoon the filling into the middle of each shape (make sure you will be able to cover it with the second shape on top without the filling coming out.
- Preheat your oven to 375 deg F.
- I placed a little dough over the tip of the sticks to help it hold better. I have never made pie pops before so not sure if I needed to do it or not.
Step 9: Bake
- Place your top shapes onto each bottom shape, pressing the sides with a fork so the filling doesn't come out.
- Cut little slits in the middle, so that steam can escape as they bake.
- Brush with an egg wash mixture or some milk (you can also sprinkle more sugar on top if you like) and bake for 15 minutes, or until pops are golden!
Step 10: Decorate
- Let the pie pops cool completely, and tie little bows around the lollipop sticks.
Step 11: Sunshiine's Final Thoughts
This was so much fun and they were very good! I am confident they will be your family favorites also! This will be my pie dough recipe from now on! It was so easy to make and the results were amazing! I used to hate making pies until I tried this recipe. I have a truly wonderful pie dough recipe that I normally use but it takes forever to make because of all the steps. This recipe was just as good and much easier!
Thanks for stopping by and have a great day!