Intro: Apple Pi
This is an Instructable on how to make Apple Pie for the special occasion of Pi Day. It's great served with vanilla ice cream.
Step 1: Ingredients and Materials
- 5 cups apples
- 1/2 to 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- dash salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Box of two pie crusts
- pie pan
- cutting board
- various measuring containers
- large bowl
- large spoon
Step 2: Filling
- Heat oven to 425°F
- In a large bowl, combine apples, sugar, flour, cinnamon and salt.
- Stir together with large spoon until all dry ingredients are moistened and stuck to the apples.
- Unroll one pie crust and put it in the pie pan.
- Pour apple mixture into prepared pie pan.
- Dot with butter.
Step 3: Top Crust
I made this pie with the top pie crust in the shape of the Pi symbol. You can just put the top crust on plain, but here is how to do the Pi symbol and numbers on the top.
- Find a picture of the Pi symbol (for a reference to cut from) on the internet.
- Unroll the second pie crust onto a cutting board.
- Use a knife to cut out a Pi symbol.
- Lay the finished top crust on the top of your pie.
Step 4: Cutting Out the Numbers
- Cut an apple from the side into thin slices (a little more than a quarter inch).
- Cut out the shapes of 3.14 from these slices.
- Put the numbers on top of the pie.
Step 5: Baking
Bake at 425°F for 40 to 45 minutes or until juice begins to bubble.