Introduction: Apple and Cinnamon Sponge
Cinnamon has to be one of the greatest flavours for a dessert (apart from chocolate of
course...). This sponge is definitely one to remember for Christmas time!
Makes 12 cupcakes - double for a 2 tier sponge cake.
For the Sponge Cake:
60g Unsalted Butter - softened
120g Caster sugar
40g Brown sugar
200g Self-raising flour
½ tsp Vanilla essence
2 Cubed apples - skin and core
then dice into 1cm cubes 150ml Milk
2 Tsp Cinnamon
1. Pre-heat the oven to 350oF (170oC)
2. Either line a 12 cup cake pan, with cup cake papers, or grease two 9" sponge cake tins
3. Place all the ingredients, apart from the egg, apple and cinnamon into a large bowl
4. Crack the egg into a cup and beat lightly with a fork
5. Beat with an electric mixer or by hand, adding the egg in 2 parts, until the ingredients are
6. Add the apple and cinnamon and mix in for a few seconds
7. Divide the mixture evenly between the cake cases or tins
8. Bake for 20-25 minutes until risen and firm to touch
9. Allow to cool for a few minutes and then transfer to a wire rack
10. Allow to cool fully before icing
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.