Intro: Apple Pie Mochi Doughnuts(gluten Free)
for the doughnuts:
- 1/4 cup (30 grams) of sticky rice flour
- 2 tbsp (31 grams) of whole milk
- 1 3/4 cup (225 grams) of sticky rice flour
- 1/2 cup (120 grams) of whole milk
- 2 1/2 tbsp (35 grams) of unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup (50 grams) of granulated sugar
- 1 large egg1 tsp of baking powder
For the apple pie filling:
- 3 medium apples
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 3 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ⅛ tsp cardamom
- ½ tsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp Dark rum
Step 1: To Make the Filling:
- Peel, core and dice apples.
- In a small saucepan, over medium heat, start to melt butter and brown sugar. When butter is melted, add diced apples, lemon juice and spices.
- Set temperature to medium-low, cover and cook for about 15 minutes or until apples are soft. Stir occasionally.
- Strain apples and set aside all the juice from cooked apples for later.
Step 2: Make Your Dough
To make your starter dough:
- Mix 1/4 cup of sticky rice flour and 2 tbsp of whole milk together in a microwave-proof bowl.
- Microwave on high for 50 ~ 60 seconds until the dough is cooked through, which will look opaque and feel very “bouncy”.
- Set aside to cool for 5 min.
To form the dough:
- Add 1 3/4 cup of sticky rice flour, 1/2 cup of milk, melted butter, granulated sugar, egg and baking powder in a stand-mixer bowl with dough-hook.
- Add the cooled starter-dough and knead the mixture on low until everything comes roughly together, then increase the speed to medium and knead until the starter dough has completely blended into the mixture.
- The dough will be wet and sticky, but you should be able to lightly touch it without it glued to your finger.
Step 3: Form Your Doughnuts
Scrape the dough onto a surface that’s dusted more sticky rice flour. Sprinkle just enough sticky rice flour onto the dough to prevent sticking, then roll it into 1/2″ (1.3 cm) thick.
With a well-floured cutter, cut as many donuts out as you can (I just use 1 large and 1 small biscuit-cutter to do this), then gather the scraps and press/knead it back into a smooth dough (without adding too much more flour), and cut as many donuts out as you can again.
You should be able to get 10 ~ 12 donuts. Spoon a spoonful of apples onto the center of each flattened doughnut. (Don’t over stuff. )Pull edges together and press them as well as possible.
Step 4: Fry Your Doughnuts
Place doughnuts seam down while waiting to be fried. Add enough canola oil to a frying-pot to reach 1 1/2″ deep (the bigger the pot, the more oil you’ll need), and set on medium-high heat to bring the oil to 330ºF/165ºC, then turn the heat down to medium-low.
If you don’t have a thermometer, just insert a wooden chopstick into the oil, and if small bubbles form around the chopstick quickly, the oil is ready.
Without crowding the pot, carefully drop a few donuts into the oil, which will sink to the bottom for the first 30 seconds then float back up.
Fry for a few minutes on each side until the donuts are puffed up and golden browned.
Transfer to a cooling rack to drain. Let it cool,and dust with powdered sugar
Find original recipe at Gluten free home bakery