Intro: Apple Wireless Keyboard - Awesome Life-hack!
Hope this article will be helpful to all the desperate owners of Apple wireless
Step 1: Introduction
A little introduction: my Apple-keyboard (picture above) happened to lay for about
1,5 years in the package with the batteries inside. Of course eventually electrolyte spilled out of the batteries and filled up the battery compartment, chaining its lid to the keypad.
Using a coin or a screwdriver, as tools to open the lid, equally failed
Step 2: Only Hope
After short-time frustration and some considerable thinking I made a resolute
decision to drill a deeper groove, that could give me a chance of opening the lid with
the large flat screwdriver
Step 3: Mummy-style
But it was not that easy: crazy alloy the lid is made of managed to breake two drills
while the lid still remained intact. Finding multiple complaints to the same problem on different Internet forums, I decided to fill the battery lid with the famous WD40. The keyboard was preliminarily wrapped all over with the duct tape, mummy-style
Step 4: WD-40 Not a Hero
But using WD-40 did not make any noticeable effect ... to be honest – made no effect
whatsoever. Then I made an attempt take out the lid with Marita rotary drill
Step 5: Where Is Over?
That also gave absolutely no results
Step 6: Bosch Help Us
Then I studied the matter in question thoroughly and purchased high-strength drill
for steel. This time my choice was a Bosch drill.
Step 7: Progress
Little by little it started to make progress
Step 8: Oops
When one drill was sent to Kingdom Come, the lid finally started to give in
Step 9: Show Must Go On
But the next step was unclear: the second drill broke trying to expand the "hole" but
the screwdriver still wouldn't get in ... I made a decision to try a hacksaw (as it turned out, the metal of the keyboard shell was easy to saw)
Step 10: Open Your Keyboard
Then we unbent the incised part carefully and saw the thread filled with electrolyte
and the whole battery compartment
Step 11: Sorry, Tim
Now the whole quest seemed to be over but the batteries still refused to be pulled out,
and we had to use self-tapping screw (Tim Cook, sorry if you are reading this)
Step 12: Relax)
In fact it looked very cute
Step 13: Again, No...
But no matter how close we were to solving the mystery of the electrolyte, the battery
wouldn't go out. That's why we had to continue manipulations with the hacksaw
Step 14: Two Is Better, Than One
Suddenly the hacksaw broke in two pieces and we had to go on without a handle
Step 15: Four Is Better Than One
At the end the hacksaw consisted already of four parts
Step 16: Happy Birthday!
And here is the exciting moment of the first battery coming-out
Step 17: Looks Sweet
After removing the batteries the keyboard looked really horrible
Step 18: Turn on Sherlock
And here comes the long-awaited moment - trying to revive our old “apple”-friend
Step 19: Last Chance
But sadly - nothing happened! Bitter disappointment, frustration, emptiness and other
emotions overwhelmed us. We decided to stop any further attempts and throw the keyboard away the next day. But in the motning new batteries came to our office
Step 20: Useability: Level God
Pay special attention to the ergonomics of the battery fixation in a new version of the
Step 21: It's Alive!
And .. a miracle finally happened!
Step 22: Work, Work and Once Work / Lenin /
It started to work!
For the conclusion – never leave batteries in the keyboard for long, but even if you did – there is always hope :)
Step 23: Thank for Attention
P.S. By the way, this article was typed with this very keyboard.
glad fo feedback: email@example.com
From Russia with love)