This Singing Birthday Box is made for the purpose of packing birthday gifts, assisted by Arduino to provide special functions, including singing and lighting up LED Candle. With the abilities to sing the Happy Birthday Song and to light up the LED candle on top of it, this birthday box make one’s birthday, and your present, unique and meaningful.
Step 1: Materials
- Arduino board x1
- Breadboard x1
- Button x1
- Speaker x1
- MF Resistance x1
- 220Ω Resistance (for LED) x1
- LED light bulb x1
- A carton suitable for packing your present: I used 15cm (height) x 20cm (width) x 25cm (length) A4 size colored paper used for covering inside of the carton x4 (please prepare enough covering paper for own carton size) *This number is just for reference.
- At least 5 sheets of A4 size colored paper (please prepare enough colored paper for own carton size, *this number is just for reference).
- A4 size different colored plastic corrugated board used for decorating outside of the carton x9 (please prepare enough plastic corrugated board for own carton size. You can select different color plastic corrugated board, as I used yellow and pink for mine) *This number is just for reference.
- At least 2 sheets of A4 size decorative paper (ex. pattern paper, special colored paper)
- Some decoration materials: little flowers/hearts/glimmers/anything decorative (please prepare enough decoration materials for own box, enough to cover at least one side of the box
- Paperboard (please prepare a big enough paperboard for own, used for making the box which contains the Arduino board & breadboard; I used a 30cm x 30cm paperboard) *This number is just for reference.
Step 2: Necessary Tools
- Utility knife
- Cutting board
- Hot melt adhesive
Step 3: Covering Inside of the Arduino Singing Birthday Box
- Fold the paper (for covering inside of carton) according to the size of the carton’s bottom side, then tape to fix the folds of paper.
- Place and tape the folded piece of paper at the bottom of carton.
- Fold the other 4 pieces of paper accordingly to the 4 sides of the carton (in size), also tape to fix the folds of paper.
- Tape and fix the 4 folded papers inside the carton; be careful not to rip the paper when taping it onto corners of the carton, use a scissor to cut off the parts which do not fit nicely onto the carton’s sides.
- Make sure all papers are neatly taped inside the carton and every corner inside the carton is covered with paper.
Step 4: Covering Outside of the Arduino Singing Birthday Box (4 Sides Except the Top and Bottom):
- Cut 2 sets of 2 pieces (a total of 4) colored plastic corrugated board accordingly to the sides of the carton (ex: in my case, there would be 2 pieces of 20cm x15cm and 2 pieces of 25cmx15cm ).
- Tape the 4 cut colored plastic corrugated board to 4 sides of the carton except the top and bottom.
Step 5: Making the Upper Side Part of the Arduino Singing Birthday Box:
- Cut 2 different sets of 5cm wide colored plastic corrugated board (maybe use another color) accordingly to the carton (ex: in my case, there would be 2 pieces of 20cm x 5cm and 2 pieces of 25cm x 5cm); draw out a curve or pattern for one side (longer side) of the colored plastic corrugated board (the 20cm & 25cm sides).
- Cut the colored plastic corrugated board you just outlined (utility knives work better than scissors here, or maybe use them together, since the colored plastic corrugated board is really hard).
- Thicken the borders of the cutted colored plastic corrugated board to make prettier (only the curved/patterned part).
Step 6: Making the Top of the Arduino Singing Birthday Box:
- Cut out a colored plastic corrugated board accordingly to the bottom of the carton (ex: in my case it would be 20cm x 25cm).
- Use wires/tapes/hot melt adhesive/anything sticky to glue little flower decorations (also hearts, glitters, etc) onto the colored plastic corrugated board that you cut out (the 20cm x 25 cm one).
- Tape the decorated plastic corrugated board to the 4 thin pieces of plastic corrugated board correspondingly (the ones with widths of 5 cm).
- Use any adhesive to fix the taped cover you just made to the "bottom" of the box, please notice: not the "top"!!! (so there should still be an open side of the carton).
*You can as well make decorations out of colored plastic corrugated board. →below is how
- Cut different colored plastic corrugated board into small pieces (about 1cm x 1cm).
- Cut pattern paper also into small pieces (about 1cm x 1cm).
- Mix the small pieces together.
- Glue them onto the colored plastic corrugated board as little groups using any adhesive.
Step 7: Decorating on the Arduino Singing Birthday Box (the 4 Sides):
- Cut shapes which you like out of pattern paper.
- Decorate them onto the 4 sides of the Arduino Singing Birthday box in a way you like.
Step 8: Making the LED Candle on Top of the Arduino Singing Birthday Box:
- Cut out 4 pieces of congruent colored plastic corrugated board for constructing 4 sides of the candle (1cm x 5cm as a reference).
- Tape the 4 colored plastic corrugated board all together forming a hollow cuboid.
- Connect extended wires onto the LED bulb.
- Put the wires (connected to the LED) through the tube you've just made (remember to fix the LED to the wires because inside the tube, the two can easily separate, maybe fix them by tape).
- Tape the candle (containing the LED) on to the top, the side with decorations, of the Arduino Singing Birthday Box.
Step 9: Making the Base of the Arduino Singing Birthday Box (where You Put Your Arduino Board+bread Board):
- Cut 2 sets of 2 pieces of paperboards suitable for containing your arduino board (one side would be according to the bottom & top side of the Arduino Singing Birthday Box; ex: in my case, it would be 2 pieces of 20cm x 25cm and 2 pieces of 7cm x 25cm).
- Glue the 4 sides together using hot melt adhesive, forming a hollow cuboid.
Step 10: Combining the Birthday Box and the Arduino Box:
- Connect the circuit onto the Arduino board and breadboard by using the circuit diagram provided next step.
- Put the Arduino board and breadboard into the hollow part of the paperboard box you've just created (remember to connect the wires of LED candle that you've fixed onto the top of the Arduino Singing Birthday Box).
- Stick the starting button on the side of the Arduino Singing Birthday Box, I recommend to use hot melt adhesive.
Step 11: Circuit Diagram:
*Made using: www.tinkercad.com
Step 12: Code:
Use this code for your Arduino Singing Birthday Box: