The chicken takes awhile since you have to lightly fry each piece, but it's worth the time!
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Make the Chicken Marinade
Chicken Marinade Ingredients:
3 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 1/2″ piece ginger, finely minced 6
tablespoons soy sauce
3 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 tablespoon sesame oil
2 tablespoon honey
1 pound chicken thighs, cut into bite size pieces
2/3 cup flour
2/3 cup water 1 tablespoon cornstarch coconut oil
1) Stir the marinade ingredients together in a large bowl with the chicken, then set aside while you make the sweet & spicy slaw (below).
2) Whisk the flour, water & cornstarch together until there are no lumps.
3) Heat a few inches of coconut oil in a cast iron skillet until it’s sizzling hot.
4) Add chicken chunks to the flour/cornstarch/water mixture and coat well. Cook the chicken until golden and cooked through and then place on paper towels to remove excess oil. Add the chicken to the bowl with the sauce and toss well.
Step 2: Sweet & Spicy Slaw
Sweet & Spicy Slaw
1 bag cabbage & kale slaw mix
1/8 bag shredded carrots
2 red chiles, seeded and sliced
1 clove garlic, minced 1/4 ” piece fresh ginger, minced
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1-2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoon rice vinegar
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 lime, juiced
2 teaspoons sesame seeds black pepper, to taste
1) Cut and stir all of the ingredients for the slaw together in a bowl, keep refrigerated until read to serve.
Step 3: Toppings
warmed corn or flour tortillas or hard shell tacos
queso fresco cheese, crumbled
handful of chow mein noodles
Step 4: Put It Together
) Heat the tortillas up until warm.
2) Place the chicken on each tortilla, top with some of the slaw, queso fresco, and chow mein noodles.
3) Drizzle with the extra marinade