So this is just a quick documentation of my Astrid cosplay I did for York Comic con this Summer, most of my cosplays are junk builds or throw togethers so it's not 100% accurate but easy enough to do.
Send me a message if you have any questions, it was a lot of fun to do! And the axe was pretty light thankfully haha.
Broom pole - poundland
cardboard - free
googley eyes - poundland
Silver spray paint - poundland
acrylic paints - already had
Faux fur and suede and ribbon - haberdashery
reconstituted leather - amazon i think
red t shirt - amazon
blonde wig - friends but any decent longish one from amazon
Air dry clay - amazon
fabric wrapped wire - local craft shop
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
So this was building the axe, I wanted to make sure it was going to be pretty light and I went a little overboard on the scale!
I'd originally covered the paper mache in foam but it made it really bulkey and I was running out of time so I just used A4 paper to cover the mache in the end. If I had more time I would have used some lining paper so it was seamless.
I used a broom pole from poundland,
Duct taped one side then the other of two cardboard panels cut to size.
paper mache'd both sides a good few times for rigidity.
Covered in white paper and duct taped the edges up which doubled as the blade detailing, then spray painted silver.
I then covered it with the cardboard detailing and googly eyes for rivets.
On the pole I'd used various pieces of leather and suede, fur and wraps for the decoration.
I then re sprayed and used paint to detail the axe, make it look more metal and finished with the ribbon wraps and clay top (spray painted) and skull for the bottom (spray painted and weathered) both of these were made from air dry clay.
This was the outfit, half was from clothes I already had of bought.
Trousers: blue jeggings I already had with leather panels i loose stitched on for the day.
Boots: so cal boots I already had with fur wraps over the top and leather sting to hold in place.
The skirt I made from faux fur form my local habadashery and sewed some toggles on the side so i could take it on and off.
The t shirt was a red plain t shirt I got online, cut the sleeves and neckline and used fabric paint to give it the stripes.
The spike belt was made from reconstituted leather which I got online for about £15 a meter, it's great to work with. the belt also had toggles on the side for easy removal as it was heavy and I couldn't sit in it!
I cut and sewed each panel on then glued on the spikes and skulls.
The spikes and skulls I'd made form air dry clay. Once dry i'd sprayed them silver then used black paint on the skuls for detailing. I'd originally used a glue gun on them all but it didn't work! I used epoxy in the end which held fine.
I also plaited some of the leather together for a headband which I pinned to the wig.
i'd also made the shawl to finish the outfit which had the shoulder guards on but it was 23 degrees at the con and I was wearing enough fur! I hgot a picture of it though which I'll put at the end. That was faux fur again with wrapped wire to hold it together and 2 clay skulls. I'd safety pinned it to the t shirt so it wouldn't move about.
These are the epaulettes and sleeves:
The epaulettes I made from foam and split pinned together. I used googly eyes on them for the rivets then sprayed silver and detailed with paint after.
The sleeves I used faux fur on the inside then suede on the outside and leather wraps over the top.
The final look! I was really happy with it as it was all pretty last minute but it was comfortable to wear and apart from being super hot easy to walk around in!