For our SIDE project in Ms. Berbawy's Intro to Engineering Design class, we recreated the sword from the popular anime/manga series Attack on Titan!
We used Autodesk Inventor for the design and both a Lulzbot Mini and Ultimaker 2+ to create our 3D prints. We then built and assembled multiple copies of the sword for cosplay purposes. This project is important to us because Attack on Titan is one of our favorite anime/manga series. We have access to many Maker resources in Ms. Berbawy's classroom and were interested in learning how to use them to make our fictional sword come to life. Our process consisted of several iterations of trial and error. We began with our own design and made adjustments as needed. Through this project, we developed better CAD skills and acquired knowledge and experience in 3D-printing.
Step 1: Materials/Tools
For this project we used:
- Autodesk Inventor Professional 2018
- 3D Printer Filament
- Lulzbot Mini/Ultimaker 2+ Printers
- Digital Caliper
- Silver Spray Paint
- Brown Spray Paint
- Gorilla Super Glue Gel
- Palm Sander
Other useful materials include:
- Engineering Notebook
- Cardboard Box
- Aprons/old clothes
Step 2: Research
We did a lot of research to figure out the proper structure for the sword. Though we wanted to make a perfect replica, we realized this would not be possible due to a time constraint and our own limited knowledge, so we did our best and learned a lot along the way. The most notable differences from the original are that ours is slightly shorter in length, has a simplified handle design, and does not have the chords seen in the provided image.
After searching far and wide for an example to follow, we ultimately drew inspiration from this YouTube tutorial and based our design on the Hacksmith's work.
Step 3: Blades (Design)
The first image is the standard blade piece, which is four inches long. Each sword is meant to have five of these.
The second picture is the tip of the sword by itself. For safety reasons, it is not sharp.
The final image is an assembly of the tip to the standard piece. This assembly is the topmost part of the blade and measures five inches.
The blade pieces put together is twenty-five inches.
Step 4: Blades (Print)
Settings for the print are above, and the third image shows our final result. The pieces have supports, which can be easily removed with pliers.
Depending on how many pieces are printed at a time, the process can take between a few hours to several hours. Be sure to check your printer for specific instructions and consult an expert.
Step 5: Handle (Design)
The most time-consuming component of our project was the handle. The drawing above was our original design, but we realized it would be impractical to 3D print the handle fully assembled. We eventually decided on three portions that we would put together after printing: the base, the finger grip, and the trigger.
The base's measurements can be seen in the second image.
The finger grip can be shown assembled in the third image.
The trigger seen in the last image is an extension above the finger grip that swings up and down.
Step 6: Handle (Print)
Settings for the print can be seen above and the results to the right of it. Given the handle's structure, the supports were difficult to take off, so be sure to remove carefully as to not damage the piece. This process took us several hours.
Step 7: Sword Painting and Assembly
The next step is to assemble the sword. Three coats of silver spray paint would be perfect for the blades, but this requires hours to properly dry. For the handle, we recommend painting the middle section brown, covering it with masking tape once dry, and then painting the entire piece silver. The tape can be peeled off later.
All parts can be glued together after the paint dries. The sword is now complete!
Step 8: Credits
Without the help of certain people, this project would not have been possible. A big shoutout to our teacher, Ms. Berbawy, for providing us our resources, as well as fellow classmate Sven for helping us set up our prints.
And of course, thank you for checking out our project!
Team Members: Teresa, Yogita, and Minh-Ha