I wanted to share this instructable with others, since it has saved me $200 so far+. I recently had my key remote stop working on me or it would intermitantly work, causing me to have to unlock my door with the key, which in turn would activate the alarm until I started my vehicle. At first I thought it was just the battery, instead I found that it was actually cracked or broken solder points around the battery. I found many articles that there are multiple steps I could do to eliminate this, since it is quite common, but it proved to be more troublesome then I wanted. A new key cost $100 or more. Since I did not have a small enough soldering gun I wanted to figure out a different way that was cost effective. This is what I have done and it works very good and haven't had a problem, I have also since done it to the second key because of the same thing.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Materials
-Key remote that needs to be fixed
-Multitool (can be substituted with scissors and screwdrivers)
-Tape (I opted for electrical tape to reduce excess adhesive, I am sure duct or scotch tape would work too)
Step 2: Remove Back Cover
I opened the cover by taking out the screw and then popping the cover off. You may have to do something else, and I know that some just need to be popped open.
Step 3: Cut Tape
I used tape to hold the battery and the cage around it down. Since I am using electrical tape it will be 3/4 of an inch wide. I cut a section around 1 1/2 inches.
Step 4: Folding/Rolling the Tape
I started folding/rolling the tape where the folded section was about 1/4 wide, and continued until I had 1/4 to 1/2 inch of adhesive still exposed. (I apologize that I didn't capture a picture after i folded it up, I think step 6 will give a good idea though)
Step 5: Positioning
I slid the battery back in and posotioned the battery cage back around it.
Step 6: Place the Tape
Place the tape where the folded tape was over the battery and the cage(adhesive side down), and pushed the exposed adhesive side down around to hold everything in place for the next step.
Step 7: Re-assemble
Put the back cover back on (if it has a screw like mine wait), test it to make sure that it works, if it doesn't work you may need a little more tape folded up. If it does work you are done(replace screw now). Good luck, I hope this is able to help someone else out too!!!
Participated in the
Jury Rig It! Contest