Intro: Autumn Squash Soup
Warm and delicious pumpkin / squash soup.
Inspired by the Panera Bread's Autumn Squash Soup I encountered on a visit to America.
There are a few recipes dotted about the internet, the best copycat one I found is here
This one is my own 'slant' on the recipe, it doesn't taste exactly the same, but oh boy, is it delicious.
If you change the milk and cream to almond, coconut etc, this recipe is also suitable for vegetarians and vegans
Step 1: You Will Need
Vegetarian: If you are happy using dairy produce, go ahead and enjoy
- A large pumpkin (you can mix this with a squash)
- 3 tablespoons of coconut oil
- Seasoning - Salt and pepper
- 1 vegetable stock cube (I used a vegetable Oxo cube)
- 350 ml of boiling water, for the stock cube*
- 350 ml of single cream - (if you want it thicker, use a double cream and for thinner, use a milk)*
- 1/4 teaspoon of curry powder
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1 - 1.5 teaspoons of alternative honey (I recently uploaded my recipe for a vegan alternative to honey here)
- Toasted pumpkin and sunflower seeds for garnish
- A roasting tray
- A large pan
- An immersion blender
* UK - US Conversions
350 ml = 1.5 cups = 12 fl oz
UK single cream = US half and half
UK double cream = US heavy cream
Step 2: Peel, Dice and Roast Pumpkin / Squash
Peel, clean out seeds and chop the pumpkin / squash
Season with salt and pepper and add coconut oil
Bake in the oven on Gas Mk 6 - 7 (200*C - 220*C / 400*F - 425*F) until soft
Step 3: Mash Pumpkin / Squash
Place in a large pan and mash pumpkin / squash with a potato masher
Step 4: Add the Following and Puree
Mix the stock cube with the boiling water and add to the pan
Add the single cream
And add the curry powder, cinnamon and honey
Place on the hob and simmer through for about 15 - 20 minutes
Step 5: Serve and Garish
Serve and sprinkle with seeds
Notes: If you are using a very large pumpkin and squash, you will need to adjust the liquids you use, likewise, if they are smaller, reduce the amount of liquids. As you can see, I like mine a little thinner, so I added more vegetable stock.
Suitable for vegetarians and vegans.
Change milk and cream for almond, coconut or equivalent