Intro: Awesome Desk Light
This instructable will show you how to make a glow in the dark (optional) water and bleach refractive light.
You will need:
- A clear plastic bottle (I used a 2litre)
- Aluminum foil
- Glow in the dark paint (optional)
- Desk lamp
- Knive or hack saw
- 30x 5cm piece of wood (x1 )
- 40x5cm piece of wood (x3)
- 45-70cm x5 cm piece of wood
- 25cm x 5cm piece of wood
- 90* bracket (x4)
- Light bulb and holder
- 15cm x5 cm piece of wood
Step 1: Step 1: Preparing the Bottle
- Cut the the bottle in half ( from the top down)
- Stick the aluminum foil over one half of the half bottles (a quarter of the whole bottle)
Step 2: Step 2: Preparing the Piece of Wood
- Glue the aluminum foil to the side of the wood that the half bottles will be glued to.
- Drill holes in the four corners of the piece of wood ( this will help you mount the device)
Step 3: Step 3: Main Assembly
- Take the cap off the half bottles ( don't through them away)
- Cut 5 mm strips of foil off the piece of wood where the half bottles will be attached ( so that the bottles will directly be attached to the piece of wood).
- Glue the half bottle with the aluminum foil side to the piece of wood so that the aluminum foil side of the bottle is closest to the side of the piece of wood.( the bottle must not be directly in the middle of the piece of wood but rather off centre so that there is space for the other half bottle next to it)
- Fill the bottles 3/4 of the way full then put 20ml of bleach into the bottles.
- Tape the bottle caps on and make sure they're water tight.
- (Optional) paint the outsides of the bottles with glow in the dark paint to add extra effect when the power goes down.
- (Optional) attach a piece of wood about 15cm X 5cm X 2cm to the side of the piece of wood where the bottom of the bottles are. Then glue a 50-100 watt bulb holder to the attachment then screw in the bulb and wire up the bulb holder.
Step 5: Step 4: Installing
You can either make a frame which I will explain how to make in the next step or you can screw it under an overhanging shelf that is over the desk
- Select the size screw that will fit into the holes you drilled in the piece of wood.
- Screw the light in
Step 6: Step 5: Making the Frame
- Cut a 45-70cm long by 5cm wide piece of wood
- Cut three 40cm X 5cm pieces of wood (this will form the base)
- Cut a 30cm X 5cm piece of wood
- Cut two pieces of wood that are long enough to reach from corner to corner on the wooden mounts on the light.
- Using the three 40 X 5 pieces place two of the pieces on either end of the one 40 x5
- Nail two small 90* angle brackets to the middle of the now complete base
- Nail the 45-70cm piece of wood to the other side of the 90* bracket on the base.
- Nail two small 90* angle brackets to the top end of the 45cm-70cm piece of wood
- Nail the 30cm X 5cm piece of wood to the 90* bracket on the 45-70cm piece
- Nail the end of the 30x5 to the center of the pieces that are long enough to reach from mount to mount on the light. ( this will be the designated mount )
Step 7: Step 6: Final Assembly (if You Chose to Make a Stand)
- Mount the light to the designated mounts on the frame
- Make sure it is sturdy
Step 8: Step 7: Testing
Test your light and send me a pic of the finished product in action.