This is something I did for the first time and was relatively successful. Fortunately it was not rocket science. I decided to install an awning for the patio. The basic steps included choosing the design and the material of the awning together with their measurements. In the following steps, I have described the tools needed, measurements, and finally the installation process.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Required Tools for Installation
The following are some of the basic tools that will be required for the installation of awnings in the patio.
- Tape measure
- Suitable ladder
- Drill with appropriate drill bits
- Required sockets and ratchet
- Caulking gun and appropriate caulk for the job
- Eye protection
- A helper mounting hardware
Step 2: Measurement for Awnings
There are two measurements that are important for awnings and they include finding the center of the door and the center of the awning. Here are the easy steps that I followed:
- Find the exact center of door and mark it against the wall.
- Find the exact center of awning and mark properly.
- Now measure the wire frame.
- Measure up from the ground around 74" to 84". This measurement is for the bottom line of the awning.
- With some help, hold the awning in place according to the measurement marks. Check to see that the door is not constricted in movement.
Step 3: Installation
Follow the easy installation steps given below:
- Put the mounting bar into place, checking that the measurements and mounting points are level. At one end, fasten the mounting bar using appropriate hardware.
- Go to the other end and check that the mounting bar is in level, and fasten this end.
- Now fasten other mounting bolts.
- Caulk the mounting bar around its edges to prevent moisture and insects from getting behind bar.
Step 4: Installing the Hardware
The installation of awnings require camel back brackets to attach support arms and outer canopy rafters. Here are the following steps for this installation.
- Attach the support arms to the camel back bracket that are already mounted on the edge canopy rafter at the front of the awning. You need to sure to put the head of the bolt on the outside to avoid tearing fabric.
- Repeat this on opposite side.
- Attach outer canopy rafters to pre-installed front edge trim. Insure that the canopy supports are oriented on the outside of rafter.
- Attach both outer canopy rafters to top trim.
- Attach center canopy rafter to front trim, and then to top trim. Final Installation
Step 5: Final Installation
Now to mount the canopy to the house, here are the final installation steps.
- Attach the 2 remaining camel back brackets to the opposite end of the support arms. These will attach to the house after some adjustments.
- Mount top trim in channel of the mounting bracket and allow the awning to hang. It will stay locked in the mounting channel.
- Accurately measure down from mounting trim to the point recommended by the manufacturer.
- Mount camel back brackets to the house, ensuring that the screws penetrate the sheathing.
- Attach support arms to camel back brackets.
- Using machine screws, lock the back trim to the mounting trim.
Now that the awnings are installed they will protect from sun, rain and gives your home a new look.