Intro: Backyard Beverage Buddies
Backyard Beverage Buddies solve the problem of "where do I put my drink while I'm tossing bags?"
Every college student returning to campus who enjoys passing some free time tossing bags while consuming a beverage or two is sure to find these things useful. Best of all they are really easy to make!
Step 1: Parts List and Tools Needed
Most of the parts for this project are cut from a length of PVC pipe:
(1) 1-1/2" x 20" PVC pipe for the vertical post
(5) 1-1/2" PVC caps - 4 for the base and one to cap the post
(3) 1-1/2" PVC tees for the base
(4) 1-1/2" x 4" PVC pipes for the base
(2) 1-1/2" x 1-1/4" PVC pipe used to join the tees for the base
Automotive cup holders
Sand for added weight in the base
(2) #8 x 3/4" bolts, nuts, washers
Plastic paint (optional)
Step 2: Assembly
1. Start by gluing all the parts for the base together. Set aside the post and its cap. Use the alignment marks on the tees to ensure the middle tee is at 90 degrees from the tees on either side of it.
2. Now is a good time to paint the base and post separately if you're going to use multiple colors (that is if you're going to paint at all). You'll get better paint adhesion with paint specifically made for plastic or by first using a plastic specific primer.
3. If your cup holders come with a tab made to hook over the top of something, cut the tab off about an inch above the pre-drilled mounting hole in the cup holder.
4. Drill 2 holes about 1-3/4 inches from the top of the post on opposite sides and large enough for the mounting bolts you're using to mount the cup holders.
5. Mount the cup holders to the post.
6. Fill the base with loose sand. This adds extra weight to the base and makes it less prone to tipping.
7. Glue the post to the base.
8. Glue the top cap to the post.
9. Go play some bags and stop worrying about where to put your drink!