Bacon Shish Kebab 5 Ways
- Bacon-on-a-Stick a.k.a. Pork-Ribbons
Thick cut bacon grilled on a stick.
Asparagus spears wrapped in bacon, grilled on skewers.
Skewered Brussels sprouts wrapped in bacon.
Bacon wrapped hot dogs with cheese on a stick.
Cheese wrapped in bacon and grilled on a stick.
Before we start cooking you need to prepare the Shish Kebab. Start by pre-soaking the wood skewers and the vegetables, so they don't dry out and burn as easily.
- Shish Kebab Skewers
- Lots of Bacon
- Brussels Sprouts
- Asparagus Spears
- Hot Dogs
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Bacon-on-a-Stick A.k.a. Pork-Ribbons
To prepare Thick cut bacon grilled on a stick:
- Start with some thick cut bacon strips.
- Skewer the Bacon along the length of the strip by threading the skewer like a needle in and out of the bacon.
- The bacon will have a wavy look on the skewer like a ribbon.
Step 2: Bacon-Spears
Now we prepare the asparagus spears wrapped in bacon, on a stick:
- First soak the asparagus spears in salt water to soften them, and help prevent burning.
- Remove the spears from their water bath.
- If some of the spears are very long, with a woody end, cut that end off.
- Wrap each asparagus spears with bacon. Try to cover the entire spear.
- Skewer the ends of a few bacon spears together. I put five spears together on two skewers.
Step 3: Bacon-Brussels
Now we prepare the Skewered Brussels sprouts wrapped in bacon:
- First soak the sprouts in salt water to soften them. You could pre-boil them to soften them even more, depending on how you like your Brussels sprouts.
- Remove the sprouts from their water bath.
- If some of the sprouts are very large, cut them in half. Small sprouts can be grilled whole.
- Skewer the end of one strip of bacon, then push one sprout onto the skewer.
- Wrap the bacon over the sprout, and put the bacon on the skewer again.
- Skewer another Brussels sprout, then fold the bacon over it like you did before.
- Keep threading the bacon strip between the Brussels.
Step 4: Bacon-Dog
Now we prepare the Bacon wrapped hot dog with cheese:
- Put each hot dog on a skewer, with some sticking out each end.
- Cut a piece of cheese the length of the dog.
- Skewer the end of a bacon strip to secure it to the dog.
- Wrap the bacon around both the hot dog, and the cheese. Try to completely cover the cheese.
Step 5: Bacon-Grilled-Cheese
Now we prepare some cheese wrapped in bacon on a stick.
- Cut the cheese into strips.
- Wrap each piece of cheese with bacon. Try to completely cover the cheese.
- Either skewer the cheese sticks lengthwise, or cut them into short pieces and put several on a skewer.
Step 6: Fire!
To prepare my barbecue grill, I used wood charcoal.
Place the Bacon-Babs on the grill and watch them, bacon can burn quickly.
Once the cheese filled kebabs started to drip, I move them onto a folded piece of foil, so they could continue to cook, without loosing the cheese.
I charred most of the bacon and burned the asparagus, because the fire got bigger once bacon grease started dripping. Let the coals burn down more before cooking so you have a smaller fire.
Step 7: Eat!
Even with some of the bacon charred, and the asparagus burnt, it all still tasted good. None of the bacon was under cooked. Next time I will try to cook it slower over a lower heat.
Participated in the