An easy, use what you've got, springboard recipe of yumminess, for an excellent Brunch, Lunch or Dinner that kids and adults love. Tailor it to your family size and likes, the leftovers are pretty good though, so a little extra is A-OK.
The name is something my kids came up with, the noodles can be twirled into a circle, or nest, with some of the peas in the center as eggs and chicken on top, you know, as the birds. The bacon is, as my kids say, "the birds food." Yes, I let them play with their food, as long as they eat it and don't make a mess.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Ingredients
- BACON!! (or turkey bacon ;-)
- Chicken breasts
- Spaghetti noodles
- Frozen green peas (green beans work too and the kids loved that as well)
- Half-and-half or whole cream
- Sour cream or plain yogurt or cream cheese or some of each.
- Seasoning salt
You'll also need
- A stock pot for cooking pasta
- A large heavy bottomed frying pan
- cutting board and knife
Step 2: Cooking It Up
- Fry up the bacon in a Large frying pan, (if using turkey bacon spray pan with non-stick spray).
- Start water boiling for your noodles.
- Cut chicken in cubes for cooking.
- Remove cooked bacon from frying pan, leave some of the grease in the pan and add the chicken.
- Add Spaghetti noodles to water and cook to desired texture.
- Cook chicken.
- Drain noodles and let sit in colander so they aren't wet.
Step 3: Saucy!!!
- Add half-and-half, sour cream (or yogurt or cream cheese) to chicken in the frying pan, stir in and cook together for a couple minutes till smooth and creamy. (sauce thickens as it cools so it doesn't actually have to be "thick" when it's done just well combined.)
- Add Seasoning salt or other seasonings.
- Dump in the peas (or green beans) a lot, or a little.
- Cook till the peas are not quite done, they seem to keep cooking a bit after you turn off the burner.
- Remove from heat
Step 4: Bringing Together the YUMMINESS!
- Add Noodles to frying pan with chicken and sauce mixture
- Stir to coat
- Top with chopped or crumbled bacon