Introduction: Broiled Squash With Browned Feta and Oregano
Broiled summer squash are a hearty vegetarian side or easy appetizer for a summer party. Preparation is simple: slice each in half, drizzle with oil and sprinkle with crumbled feta cheese. Chopped oregano adds a spicy pop to the dish.
We chose to use cocozelle squash, though you could easily use zucchini for the same texture. Cocozelle is a heavier summer squash with horizontal streaks of sage and gray. Cocozelle has firm flesh like zucchini and a mellow rind.
If cocozelle squash is not available, zucchini will do just as well in a pinch, as it keeps its firmness after baking.
Broiled Squash with Browned Feta and Oregano
Serves 6 for dinner or 12 for appetizers
parchment paper or aluminum foil
3 large summer squash (cocozelle or zucchini)
6 T brined feta cheese, crumbled
3 T fresh oregano, finely chopped
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon feta
1. Preheat the oven to 400 F.
2. Measure out parchment paper or aluminum foil to line your baking sheet. Wash the squash and pat dry. Slice in half lengthwise. Place the squash on the lined baking sheet.
3. Measure out 6 tablespoons of feta. If necessary, crumble the feta. Sprinkle each half of squash with a tablespoon of feta cheese.
4. When the oven is ready, put the squash in the oven on the second rack. Set the kitchen timer to 15 minutes.
5. While the squash cooks, pick 3 tablespoons of fresh oregano leaves from the herb bunch. Finely chop them into uniform flakes.
6. When the squash is done, carefully remove from the oven. Lightly dust each half with an equal portion of the oregano.
7. Serve immediately. If preparing this dish as an appetizer, cut each squash into half inch slices and serve using toothpicks.