This is an instructable to build a smal self propelling balsa wood boat!
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Step 1: Collect Materials
You will need:
1. 3 balsa wood planks (2ft by 4in)
2. Multiple balsa wood rods (1 foot long, varying width)
3. Hot glue gun
4 regular rubber bands
Step 2: Step 2: Cut Planks
1. Cut the one planks 11in by 4in, cut two planks 8in by 2 in. Cut 2 planks 5 in by 2 in and finally cut a plank 7in by 4in.
2. Cut the 2nd smallest rods into 2 six inch pieces and a third 3 1/2in piece.
Step 3: Step 3: Start Building
1. Use hot glue to glue together the two thickest rods.
Step 4: Step 4:Glue Rod
1.glue the double rod going horizontally across the top of the base that was cut in the previous step
2. Make sure you center the board and put the two smaller planks at the very edge and centered.
Step 5: Step 5: Cutting Rods
1. cut the smallest rod so that it goes from the front of the plank to the top of the cross bar. Cut 2 of these.
Step 6: Step 6: Make Rudder
1. cut out a 3/4in by 2in gap at the back of the middle boat piece.
2. Cut out 2 1in by 1/2 in rectangles.
3. On one piece of the rectangle hollow out a small gap for the rubber band to go.
4. Center the rubber band and glue the 2 pieces together.
5. Wait to dry and stretch rubber bands around back.
(To make the boat move, wind up the rubber band and let it go)
Step 7: Step 7: Add Top Pieces to Boat
1. Use hot glue at the front of all 3 pieces and the top of the cross bar over each piece
2. Place top on
3. Wait to dry
Step 8: Enjoy Your Boat!
just place boat in water and wind up the rudder to make it go!