Intro: Barn Gate
Can be used as a gate in fencing, on barns, or any other area where it may fit.
*Please read all instructions before creating. Some directions may be out of order due to neatness and ease of instructions.
Step 1: Supplies
- 5-8 foot pine 2"x6"
- 2-Hinges (of choice)
- 1-Lock (of choice)
- 70+- nails
- 52- screws
- Tape measure
- Circular saw
- nail gun (size of choice)
- Drill bit (corresponding to the size of screw used)
Step 2: Cut Pieces to Size
- Cut 4, 8 foot 2"x6"s in half to create 8, 4 foot pieces.
- *You will only use seven pieces in this step. The eighth board will used in the next step.
- Next, Use the remaining 4 foot board, and cut down to 42 inches, Cut the final board at 42 inches as well. These are the horizontal braces.
- *Cut the final board to lay nicely in between the horizontal brace,cut the bottom and top of the board at a 45 degree angle, to act as the cross brace of the gate.
Step 3: Laying Out the Boards
- First, Take the 7, 4 foot boards, and lay them down side-by-side in a way that they lay together seamlessly.
- Next lay the two, 42" boards, 6 inches from the top and bottom, These are the horizontal braces.
- Lay the final board between the two horizontal, acting as the cross brace.
Step 4: Nailing and Screwing
- Using a nail gun, nail the braces securely onto the main part of the gate. Do this on both sides of the gate.
- Put 4 nails in the braces per board it lays on.
- Using a drill, drill two screws in per board the brace lays upon.
Step 5: Adding Fixtures
- Add the lock and hinges by using screws to hold them in place.
- Place the hinges above the horizontal braces so they can be screwed in pas the first layer of the boards.
- Place the lock on the other side of the gate at three feet from the bottom of the gate.
- Finally, paint or stain the gate to your color of choice (optional).