Basic Bread - Multipurpose Recipe
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Ingredients:
1 Cup Sugar*
4 Cups Hot Water (110 to 115 degrees)
1/2 Cup Vegetable Oil
2 Tablespoons Yeast
7 - 8 Cups All-purpose Flour, divided
2 Tablespoons Salt
3 Tablespoons Butter, melted
* Sugar amount is optional and should be added to taste. The least for the Basic Bread is 1/4 cup; however this dough recipe can handle up to a maximum of 2 cups.
Step 2: Directions:
1. In large mixing bowl, combine sugar, water and yeast, gently stir to mix. Let proof 15 minutes.
2. Add oil and salt, stir.
3. Starting with 7 cups, add flour to mixture and mix for 5 minutes, adding more flour as needed to form a soft ball.
4. Let rise for 1 hour.
5. Punch down, let rest 5 minutes.
6. Shape into loaf and place on greased baking sheet.
7. Let rise 30 minutes.
8. Place in 350* oven for 35-40 minutes.
9. Brush with melted butter and return to oven for 5 minuted longer, or until golden brown.
10. Remove from oven and let cool 10 minutes.
Participated in the
Bread Challenge 2017