Intro: Basic Dough Recipe
What do Doughboys, Pita Bread, Pizza, Pigs in a Blanket, Bagels and Dumplings all have in common?
Dough…. This instructable will show you how to make a Basic Dough Recipe. With this recipe a delicious snack, meal or side dish is just a few more ingredients away.
I like foods that are easy to make but appear difficult and that are satisfying to eat. This Basic Dough Recipe is the base for making other fine cuisine. Once you make the Dough, you can freeze for a later time or make something special now. In either case surprise, impress, excite your bon vivant with your culinary creations.
Steps 2 – 6 are the Basic Dough Recipe.
Steps7 – l0 are dishes that were made with this Basic Dough Recipe.
Step11 is Observations and Summary.
Notation: Cook times and temperatures will vary with appliances. Those listed in the following steps are a guide line. Be present while you are cooking, remove food or turn off appliance if you leave the area. Your results will vary.
Step 1: Ingredients
There are only 4 ingredients, the purpose of this is not to distract but to compliment the dish. The flavor should come from the toppings or fillings.
1) All-Purpose White Flour – 2 Cup,
2) Warm Water – 1 1/4 Cup,
3) Yeast – 2 tbl spoons or 1 package,
4) Salt – Pinch to taste.
Step 2: Tools
1) Mixing Bowl (Large),
2) Measuring cup,
3) Measuring Spoon (1 tbl. spoon),
Time to Complete:
1 ½ – 2 ½ hours Prep time. Cooking time depends upon what you are making.
Now that you have your Ingredients, let’s make some Dough.
Step 3: Mix
Mix all of the ingredients together.
1) Pour all the ingredients into the large bowl.
2) Stir with your Fork or other utensil until stiff.
Step 4: Knead
After you have mixed the ingredients well. It is time to Knead. The 2nd most important step in making Dough is to Knead the Dough, well. During this step, the yeast becomes excited and breaks down the flour. Spend 5 - 10 minutes during this step.
1) Spread some flour over the count.
2) Place the Dough on top of the flour.
3) Use your palms and push the Dough out flat.
4) Fold the Dough in half.
5) Fold the Dough in half again.
6) Repeat Steps3 - 5 for 5 - 10 minutes. After a while the dough may start to stick to the counter, add some flour to the counter.
7) Make a ball out of the Dough, by curling the outer edges under and into it's self.
Step 5: Rise
Let the Dough rise or store for later.
1) Put the Dough into a lightly greased bowl and cover.
2) Place the bowl in a warm place for 90+ minutes (the Dough should double in size).
Storing the Dough
Place Dough in Freezer or Refrigerator until you want to use it.
For best results use within 2 months. Thaw Dough until it is double in size. Otherwise it will be flat and heavy.
For best results use within 1 week. Warm Dough until it is double in size. Otherwise it will be flat and heavy.
Step 6: Release
Release and Rest.
1) Punch the Dough down to release the trapped air.
2) Let the Dough rest for about 10 minutes.
3) Depending on what you are going to prepare, make Dough balls about 3 - 4 inches in size.
Next step is the recipe to make Doughboys.
Step 7: Doughboys
Cook Time: 3 - 4 minutes per Doughboy
Temperature: Medium heat
1) Cut or rip Dough into ball, flat shapes or log rolls.
2) Heat oil until little waves appear.
3) Place shapes into oil, they will sink at first then they will float.
4) Flip Doughboys over after 2 minutes they are done when lightly brown.
5) Remove and place on paper towel to drain excess oil.
6) Serve plain, with syrup, powder sugar, etc.
Next step is the recipe to make Pizza.
Step 8: Pizza
This is a thin crust personal pan Pizza.
Cook Time: 10 minutes or until crust is lightly brown
1) Smooth the Dough ball out in a circle or square.
2) Place on a lightly greased baking sheet.
3) Add flavors (Sauce, Peppers, Sausage, Onion powder, etc)
4) Bake in oven for 10 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
Next step is the recipe to make Pigs in a Blanket.
Step 9: Pigs in a Blanket
Cook Time: 10 minutes or until lightly brown
1) Smooth the Dough ball out in a rectangle.
2) Cut Dough in a Quadrilateral shape.
3) Cut Hot Dogs 1 - 1 1/2 inch lengths.
4) Place the Hot Dog at the wide end and roll the Dough and dog.
5) Place on pan then into the oven to cook.
6) Check after 4 minutes for browning then roll them over.
Next step is the recipe to make Pita.
Step 10: Pita Bread
This method for Pita is cooked on the stove top.
Cook Time: 2-3 minutes each Pita
Temperature: Low to Medium heat
1) Preheat pan.
2) Smooth the Dough ball out in a circle.
3) Place flat Dough on heated pan.
4) Flip Pita Bread over after a minute.
5) Flip PitaBread over after another minute.
Step 11: Observations & Summary
The benefits of this Basic Dough Recipe are:
1) Easy to remember,
2) Reduce time in preparing and serving a delicious snack, meal or side dish,
3) Cooking can be an expression of one's self, go be expressive.
4) Like anything else cooking take practice, so cook, eat and be merry.
I am satisfied with the results.
Then I saw, and considered it well. I looked upon it, and received instruction..