building a EVA foam costume from scratch
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Getting a Pattern
The pattern was pulled from a 3d render of Baymax i found off the internet. after loading into a program called Pepakura i was able to scale the pieces to fit and print onto 100lb cardstock.
Step 2: Hot Glue and Razor Blades!
after the pattern is printed, i cut it out with scissors and traced it onto the foam with a black sharpie. you then cut the pattern out using any fassion of utility knife! *note* i purchased a cheap knife sharpener and used it after every few cuts. the sharper the knife, the cleaner the cuts are.
after the pieces are cut i used a high temp glue gun to hold the pieces together. this takes some practice. small amounts of glue go a long way! also hold the seam for at least 30 seconds to allow it time to get a proper hold.
i used a latex caulk to run over my bad seams to fill in the big cracks. its a paintable latex from big box stores.
Step 4: Try It On!
i went through 3 helmet builds until i finally got the sizing right!
Step 5: Strapping It In
i purchased poly web strapping and clips to hold the pieces in place. i wanted mobility so i tried on all of the armor first to figure out the best spots to clip in.
Step 6: Wear It!
even after i had it all together, i wore it and had to go back and make additional cuts and add strapping. there are always things you dont consider unless you wear it first! my knees couldnt bend because of all the foam in yhe back of the legs.
Step 7: Be Proud of What Youve Built!
if you got it, flaunt it :p
Runner Up in the
Halloween Costume Contest 2015
bolaarts made it!