Introduction: Beats by Jerianne and Lilian (DIY Headphones)
Here are our steps to making your own homemade headphones.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Collect All of Your Materials
First you should collect all your materials so that you already have all the things you need in order to make your headphones.
- 28 Gauge Wire (Can be bought on Amazon and in Home Depot).
- Wire Cutters (Can be bought on Amazon and in Home Depot, and Michaels).
- 2 neodymium magnets (Can be bought on Amazon, or in Home Depot, and Radio Shack).
- Sand Paper (Can be bought on Amazon, or in Home Depot, and Micheals).
- Spray Paint (Can be bought on Amazon, or in Michaels and Home Depot).
- 2 Small plactic cups (which can be bought at your local grocery store).
- 1 Roll of Electrical Tape (Can be bought on Amazon, or in Home Depot,and Michaels).
- 1 Aux Plug (Can be bought in Radio Shack or Fry's Electronics).
- Post It Notes (Can be bought in Office Depot, Staples, or Michaels).
- Tin Foil (Can also be bought at your local grocery store).
- 1 Large Glue stick (Can be bought in Office Depot, Staples, or Michaels).
- Once you have all these objects you are ready to start making your very own homemade headphones.
Step 2: Wire Coiling
To start you should first put a post-it around the glue stick and start coiling the wire around the glue stick 50 times. You do this so that when you're done coiling your wire it will slide right off with the post it. We are using 5 coils because that is the amount that we found produced the best quality sound in our headphones. You then want to tuck the ends of the wire around the coil on opposite sides. Make sure to have a lot of left over wire so that you won't have to connect your device near your ears (preferably near 24 inches of leftover wire on each side). You want to make two of these coils (one for each ear).
Step 3: Place Magnet and Coil on Cup
Next you should place both of the cups upside down and put a magnet in the center of each one . Then you should place one of the coils around the magnet on each cup.The leftover wire from the coils should be sticking out from the sides. If you are confused about how this would look, refer to the picture above.
Step 4: Tape Down the Magnet and the Coil
Next you should use the electrical tape to tape down the magnets and coils to the cups. Make sure that the coils are touching the cups as much as possible. This should look somewhat similar to the picture above.
Step 5: Shape Your Tin Foil
Now you want to use the tin foil you have and shape it so that it can be the headband for your headphones. This is when you use the spray paint you bought to decorate the tin foil however you want.
Step 6: Measure Your Wire
Once the spray paint is dry put the two cups on each side of the headband with one wire going up and the other going down. Then measure how much wire you need from the wire pointing up so that the wires from both sides meet in the middle of the headband and cut it using wire cutters.
Step 7: Tape Down the Wire
Once you have cut the wires use the sand paper to strip the ends, that are gonna meet in the middle of the headband, of the rubber on it. Make sure to take it all off. Then you need to twist the stripped ends together firmly. Once that is done tape the wire to the headband (make sure that no wire shows).
Step 8: Tape Down the Cups
Now using electrical tape you need to tape down the two cups to the headband.
Step 9: Strip the Ends of the Wires
Now that the headphones are together you want to use the sand paper and strip the ends of the wire that are coming out of your headphones.
Step 10: Connect Wire to Aux Plug
Now you take the two sanded ends and firmly connect them to separate sides of the aux plug. Make sure to create a firm connection.
Step 11: Optional
If you want to you can use electrical tape to cover the wires that lead to the aux plug.
Step 12: Having Trouble Hearing Sound From Your Headphones?
If you have trouble hearing from the headphones I suggest you go back and make sure that all the ends that needed to be sanded are done properly. Also make sure that the coils are touching the cups. Lastly make sure the wires have a very firm connection to the aux plug.
Step 13: Thanks for Reading
That's how you make your own homemade headphones. Thanks for reading.