When cooked correctly, beef tripe is one of the most amazing ingredients from the cow with a tender and smooth texture, and great perceptiveness to any seasoning you throw at it. This makes cilantro the perfect vegetable/herb to pair with tripe as it delivers just the right balance of taste and scent.
Step 1: Materials
- Beef tripe
- white pepper powder
- star anise seeds
- coriander seeds
- bay leaves
- fennel seeds
Step 2: Stewing the Tripe
- Wash tripe in cold water
- start boiling a pot of water
- to the pot, add star anise seeds, coriander seeds, bay leaves and fennel seeds
- add the tripe to the water (when its still cold/warm)
- bring to a boil, and then simmer for 2 hours with the lid closed.
- By the time it is done, the tripe will have shrunk considerably so plan your portions accordingly.
Step 3: Cutting and Prep
- Soak cilantro in cold water and wash
- Cut down the tripe into stripes
- Remove root of cilantro, cut along the stem in 2 cm intervals
- finely dice 3 cloves of garlic
- mix 1 tbsp of starch with 1/3 cup of cold water
Step 4: Cooking
In a hot pan on high heat:
- pour 3 tbsp of vegetable oil
- add 2 cloves worth of diced garlic, saute nicely
- add in tripe and stir fry for 2 minutes
- add in cilantro and mix, cook for 1 minute
- add 1/2 tsp of white pepper
- pour in starch mix, reduce to medium heat and cook for 2 more minutes (counting from start of water boiling)
Step 5: Finishing Up
- Transfer contents from pan to plate
- add in the last clove worth of diced garlic, toss and mix slightly.
- Serve and enjoy!