Butter Chicken Masala / Murg Makhani / Chicken Makhani is a universally loved Indian dish. If you are looking to make one at home, then this could be the most delicious Butter Chicken recipe you would have ever had.. with the fresh garam masala, the right amout of ingredients and a twist to the regular method of cooking makes this butter chicken lusciously lip-smacking. Try it once, and you would always love to have it this way ! .. bon appetit :)
Ingredients: ( For Butter Chicken Recipe Serves 5 – 6 )
For the sauce / gravy : ( for step 1 )
2 – cloves
2 – cardamom
2″ – cinnamon piece
1/2 tsp – fennel seeds or ( lakhnavi saunf – tiny fennel seeds )
1″ – ginger piece (chopped)
3 – garlic cloves (chopped)
2 – medium Onion ( red onion adds more color and flavour )
5 – tomato
1/2 tsp – salt
1 Tbsp – Oil
Make fresh garam masala by powdering these ingredients: ( for step 2 )
( 3 cloves, 2 cardamom, 1″ cinnamon, star anise – 2 petals, shah jeera – 3/4 tsp, cumin seeds – 1/3 tsp )
note: save 1/2 tsp of this garam masala for final butter chicken masala and add the remaining for marinating chicken (in step 3).
For marinating chicken : ( for step 3 )
3 boneless chicken breasts – ( cut into cubes )
1 tsp – ginger paste
1 tsp – garlic paste
1/2 tsp – turmeric powder
1.5 tsp – kashmiri chilli powder
2 tsp – coriander powder
2 tsp – fennel powder
fresh garam masala powder ( you made in step 2)
3/4 tsp – salt ( or to taste ),
1 tbsp – chopped coriander leaves
3 Tbsp – yogurt (thick)
1/2 tsp – mustard oil ( or any oil )
For Final butter chicken masala : (for step 7)
1/4 cup butter
2 tsp oil salt to taste
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
2 tsp deggi mirch powder or kashmiri chilli powder
1/2 tsp – methi leaves / fenugreek leaves
1 tsp – sugar
1/4 cup – cream
2 Cups – Water
1 Tbsp – chopped coriander leaves
1/2 tsp – saved garam masala ( the 1/2 tsp fresh garam masala you saved in step 2 )
Don’t be scared by looking at the long list of ingredients … I have made it easy with simple and easy to follow steps :).. and the final result – you get to enjoy :)..
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Make the Sauce / Gravy : ( With 'for the Sauce/gravy Ingredients')
Step 1)Make the sauce / gravy : (with ‘for the sauce/gravy ingredients’)
- Heat a pan and pour oil
- Add the Onion and saute for 10 seconds
- Add the cloves, cardamom, cinnamon, fennel seeds and mix for 5 seconds..
- Add the chopped ginger, garlic and saute for a minute..
- Add the chopped tomato and mix on high for a minute.
- Add 1/2 tsp salt. Reduce to medium and cook for 8 – 10 minutes or until the tomato is soft and mushy.
- Turn off the heat. Let it cool for 30 minutes and then grind it to a smooth sauce / gravy
Step 2: Make Fresh Garam Masala : (with ‘make Fresh Garam Masala Ingredients’)
- Into a dry blender, add ( 3 cloves, 2 cardamom, 1″ cinnamon, star anise – 2 petals, shah jeera – 3/4 tsp, cumin seeds – 1/3 tsp ) and grind until fine powder.
- note: save 1/2 tsp of this fresh garam masala for final butter chicken masala and add the remaining for marinating chicken ( in step 3).
Step 3: Marinate the Chicken : (with ‘for Marinating Chicken Ingredients’)
Step 3) Marinate the chicken : (with ‘for marinating chicken ingredients’)
- Into a bowl, add all the spices ( turmeric powder, kashmiri chilli powder, coriander powder, fennel powder, fresh garam masala powder), salt, ginger garlic paste, coriander leaves, yogurt, oil and make a thick paste.
- Coat the chicken with this thick paste and keep aside for 15 minutes.
Step 4: Preheat Oven & Grease Foil
Step 4) Preheat the Oven to 225 C / 425 F and grease a foil with little oil..
Step 5: Bake
Step 5) Arrange the marinated chicken pieces in the foil and bake for 18 – 20 minutes or until the moisture in the foil is 90% dry.
note: Bake only until 90% of the foil looks dry ( and not completely dry as this will harden the chicken pieces)
note: Alternatively, you can also shallow fry these chicken pieces in little oil ( fry in batches and keep aside)..
Step 6: Once Done, Release Chicken From Foil
Step 6) Once the chicken is done, release the chicken from the foil and cover with the same foil to keep it warm and soft.. ( If you want to taste some, go ahead.. this is sooo nom nom yummy
Step 7: Make the Final Butter Chicken Masala : ( With ‘for Final Butter Chicken Masala Ingredients’ )
Step 7) Make the Final Butter Chicken Masala : ( with ‘for final butter chicken masala ingredients’ )
- Heat a heavy pan and add the butter ( keep the heat on low )
- To this, add the baked chicken pieces and coat with the butter for 30 seconds..( smells really good at this stage :)..
- Move the chicken to one side of pan, pour 2 tsp of oil and add the turmeric powder and deggi mirch or kashmiri chilli powder and mix for 10 seconds..( deggi mirch gives intense red color and strong chilli flavour)
- Mix everything together and pour the ground sauce/gravy you made in step 1 along with 2 cups of water.
- Add salt to taste. Bring it to a boil.
Once it stats boiling, reduce to medium and cook for 5 minutes.
Add the methi leaves ( crush with your fingers and add), sugar and mix..
Add the saved 1/2 tsp fresh garam masala (you made in step 2) and mix.
Reduce to medium-low and cook for 10 mintues..
After 10 mintues, add salt if needed and reduce the heat to low
Add the coriander leaves and mix.
Add the cream and mix. Simmer for 3 minutes on low heat and Turn OFF.
Butter Chicken Masala … Ready ! :)..
Hope you will try this butter chicken masala and please share your feedback if you did :)