Intro: Bicycle-Mounted Banana Suspender
Step 1: Gather Materials and Tools
Step 2: Lasercut the Leather
The first thing you need to do is cut the leather to the appropriate size and shape. See the attached file for an example design. This can easily be done by hand. However, if you’d like to add a fancy pattern to it is can also be cut and etched using a lasercutter.
Step 3: 3D Print the Tube Clamps
These 3D printed clamps will allow you to connect to your Banana Suspender to your bicycle tubes. Here's how to make them:
- Take the diameter of your bike tubes with a caliper.
- Start your 3D model with your favorite 3D software (we used Autodesk Fusion 360)
- Use your Jedi skill to design a way to mount an elastic strap onto bike tubes
Or Download and print! (lazy way):
- For the people have better things to do than modeling things in 3D...
- We did all the work for you: feel free to download this 3D file, resize it at your convenience and print it! See the attached STL file or if you have Fusion 360, follow this link: http://a360.co/1PsQy1u
- Any kind of filament 3D printer (FDM) should work for printing out your part.
Step 4: Assemble the Hammock
Here's how to assemble the banana hammock:
- Cut elastic to size (8-10 inches x 3 pieces)
- Fold the leather over and position your first piece of elastic. Start with one of the lower corners, with the elastic parallel to the edge.
- On the hole punch tool select the punch that is closest to the diameter of the existing leather holes.
- Position the punch tool in the leather hole and squeeze firmly to punch the elastic.
- Insert the longer side of the rivet from below and position on the flat side of the rivet anvil.
- Position the matching side of the rivet above. Hold in place using the concave side of the rivet setter.
- Using the mallet, tap firmly two or three time to set the rivet.
- Inspect your work.
- Repeat for the remaining holes and elastic straps.
Step 5: Assemble the Suspender Straps
These straps are adjustable and made of elastic which means they will give your banana a nice gentle ride.
For each of the three elastic strap:
- weave it through the trislide
- pass it through the slat on the 3D-printed tube clamp
- double it back through the trislide again
The trislide will allow you to adjust the Banana Suspender to the specific dimensions of your bicycle frame!
Step 6: Attach the Banana Suspender to the Bike Frame
Start with the top tube. Position the 3D printed tube clamp below the tube with the banana hammock hanging below. Use the "O" ring to secure it in place.
Repeat for the seat tube and the down tube, positioning the clamps on their interior sides. Once all three points are fastened, move the elastic through the triglides to remove any slack in the system and position the banana hammock at the center of the the frame triangle.
Step 7: Take Your Banana for a Ride!
- Insert your banana into the hammock
- Take it for a ride
- Be safe on the road!
Bonus: see our design process in this PDF!