Bike Seat Cover




This is a basic design for a bicycle seat/saddle cover that you can modify to fit your own seat, using different materials. I made it out of necessity - I rode in Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada throughout winter and even a bike seat freezes in -20C so I made one with sheepskin - it was a game changer. Even after sitting outside overnight, as soon as I sit on the sheep-skin saddle, I could feel the warmth.


  • Seat material (fur, wool, etc.)
  • bottom/sleeve - thin nylon, small amount.
  • a cord
  • optional: cord-end thing

Teacher Notes

Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.

Step 1: Trace Your Bike Seat & Create a Pattern

Roughly trace the shape of your bike seat. Also, measure the length and the width (at the widest part). Mark where darts will go (2 in the back, one in the front tip) for more fitted finish.

Folding a paper in half and trace the shape will ensure the pattern will be symmetrical. Although there's some "give" to this, if it's too sloppy, the cover will not fit the seat. Mark where it flares out towards the rear.

Step 2: Create Front Sleeve

For the front, trace the narrow part of the saddle. It's not important how bit this part is. This part is there to keep the seat cover in place. Sew the edge, then sew it on to the top part, wrong side.

Step 3: Sew on the Back (drawstring) Part

For the rear part, it's more involved.
measure the circumference of the seat from point A to B (see the image).Cut a fabric for the length, about 5-8 cm tall.Sew the two sides. Sew the top so you can put a drawstring. (fold twice and sew the edg). using the center point of the seat and the drawstring-abled sleeve, match the two pieces and sew together.

Sew Tough Challenge

Participated in the
Sew Tough Challenge

Be the First to Share


    • Skateboard Contest

      Skateboard Contest
    • Make it Move

      Make it Move
    • Teacher Contest

      Teacher Contest

    2 Discussions


    6 weeks ago

    Nice work!