Intro: Bike Tube Wallet - Male
This instructable shows how to make a male style wallet out of old bike tubes and billboards/vinyl.
*I very much suggest to read my how to sew bike tubes/vinyl instructable before you make this!
What you'll need to make a Male Style Wallet:
-Old bike tubes (26" or 29" are the widest. just ask for these at most any bike shop).
-Vinyl (I use old billboards. I called up Next Media and they gave me a few free ones).
-Lube (I used cooking oil because it's cheap, biodegradable, wipes off easy, and leaves a shiny coat).
-Most any sewing machine with a leather/denim needle and adjustable tension.
-Hot glue gun for tacking tube in place before sewing (optional, but makes it way easier/quicker. you can use clamps/safety pins too.)
For more things you can make out of bike tubes/vinyl check out my other instructables:
The Wallet - Female
The Side Bag/Purse
The Messenger Bag (INSTRUCTIONS COMING SOON)
Step 1: Back Wall of Wallet
Back Wall of Wallet
1) Cut a bike tube to about 9 1/2" - 10" long. If the width is less than 4 1/2" - 5" wide (most are), you need to sew two tubes together and cut to 4 1/2" - 5".
2) Cut a vinyl square to about 9" x 4"
3) Hot glue/tack vinyl square to middle of tube sheet
4) Fold one long end of tube over one long end of the vinyl glue and sew fold.
Step 2: Front Wall of Wallet
Front Wall of Wallet
1) Cut a 9"x4" piece of tube (this should be about the average with of a 26" tube)
2) Cut a 9"x3 1/2" piece of vinyl
3) Glue vinyl and tube together flush with three sides of the tube with a excess along the long side
4) Fold excess tub over vinyl. tack. sew fold.
Step 3: Pockets
1) Use 3 credit cards (or whatever) and lay them down an equal space from each other on the front wallet wall while leaving a quarter to half inch on either side. trace the cards using chalk or pen (both wipe off).
2) Sew down the traced card lines to the vinyl
3) Cut straight slits in the tube (not the vinyl) from line to line about a half inch down from the sewn flap. This is where you will slide the cards in between the tube and the vinyl.
Step 4: Sewing Walls Together
Sewing Walls Together
1) center the front wall inside the back wall allowing the back wall tube excess to evenly surround the front wall.
2) cut 90 degree corners out of the tube on the back wall stopping at where the vinyl meets the tube.
3) fold short sides of back wall over front wall first. tack. lube. sew.
4) fold long bottom side of back wall over front wall. tack. lube. sew.
Step 5: Install Snap and Finish
Snap & Finish
1) Install a metal snap from the inside of the money pocket to the inside of an oposite credit card pocket (optional)
2) Use a rag to wipe up lube. Use some extra lube to whipe entire surface of wallet to make shine.
3) Cut any sticking up threads.
4) Fold shut and tie a rubber band (can be made from bike tube) around it or close in vice. The gives it a crease and allows it to fold easier.
5) Good Job!