Introduction: Bird Building Station
Making life a little easier for the birds in your neighborhood is fun and helpful when you create a simple bird building station. Birds search for nesting material all over so why not make life a little easier for them by providing some helpful items? Once a bird builds a nest the work is not complete. Just like any other home, a safe and secure nest requires periodic maintenance through continuous upkeep. Many birds must continuously reinforce, repair, replace, and add to their nests. Creating a helpful place for birds to collect building materials from is a bird friendly activity.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Collect Items to Build Your Station
Materials used to create this Bird Building Station:
- 1 Small plastic basket
- Light weight chain to hang basket from a tree
- Twigs, leaves, pieces of string of various length, dog hair to soften the nest
- Use the chain to turn the plastic basket into a hanging basket.
- Hang the basket in a tree.
- Fill the basket with twigs, string, dog hair, or other appropriate materials a bird can use to build or reinforce a nest. Soft items, such as dog hair, are important for birds to use as bedding material to make the nest comfortable for the birds.
- Periodically check the basket to determine when you need to add more materials for the birds.
Runner Up in the
Animals in the Wild Challenge