Introduction: Blender-wacker, a Gas Powered Blender With Electric Start.
I had a Ryobi motor and a Dewalt electric drill that needed a project.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Gather the parts.
Step 2: A Better Angle
It needs a frame of some sort and this is what I had as shop junk. I also wanted to make it simple looking and mechanical so you could easily see how it works.
I bent the steel around a yellow guard post outside the shop then welded the ends together.
Mocked everything up to get a good idea of looks, and placement, then started building brackets. The drill motor bracket gave me trouble so I ended up rebuilding it a few times. I'll get better pics of the final version soon. The motor plate is just a simple sheetmetal plate with holes drilled to match the original screw holes for the weedeater mounting.
The black handle on the right will now serve as a battery box and one of 4 legs.
Pull the battery pack apart.
Step 4: Mount
Add a motor mount.
Step 5: Another Mock Up
I think this gives you a good idea of what is going on. The drill motor turns the sprocket that pulls the chain that spins the motor to crank it. The one way gear action on the BMX bike allows the motor to turn without pulling the drill motor with it after it cranks.
The chain attaches to the motor shaft before the clutch. The original weedeater clutch engages when the motor reaches a certain RPM and allows it to sit at idle without spinning the blender blades. It also has a female square input shaft that almost matches the blender's input.
The expanded steel messes with picture taking a bit so it's hard to get a good visual.
Step 6: Starter
I needed to somehow attach the chain to the motor's output shaft but also allow it to freewheel after it cranks up.
Step 7: Lots of JB Weld
I used JB weld to attach the original rope crank pulley to the now gutted bike's one way gear.
Step 8: Starter
Next I welded the bike sprocket to the drill motor's output shaft. I turned the original keyless chuck down until it snugly fit, then tack welded it in a few places.
I guess I should add that I removed the slip function or clutch part of the drill. Mostly to reduce the size. It had springs that press on ball bearings and allowed the outer sun gear to spin if the drill torque exceeded an adjustable set point. I just removed the bearings and threaded a well fitting machine screw in each hole where the spring went to stop the sun gear from being able to slip.
Step 9: Overview of the Innards
And... so the chain will only turn in the correct direction to crank the motor. When the motor starts, the chain freewheels.
Step 10: Legs
Weld some legs on and a bracket to mount the Drill motor. I threaded some tubing and Welded it to a clamp I bent out of sheetmetal. The oval slots in the expanded steel allow for chain adjustment.
Step 11: Fuel Tank
The angled leg will also be the fuel tank.
I ordered a weld on bung for Harley style oil tanks for a screw on fuel filler. I'll weld it on the short post, the long one will house the batteries. The original handle with throttle will bolt on it as well.
It's still in process but I did get it to crank on starter fluid.. I've also received the bung and welded it on. (see added pic) I had to add a little support to the motor plate because it bounced around too much. The sheetmetal I used for a motor plate was a little to thin and it flexed at idle causing the entire get up to walk around. After adding an angle bracket for support it's quite stable. I'll pick up some rubber feet for chair legs the next time at lowe's.
Next step is to solder on two nipples for the fuel supply and return, then rig up a base of some sort for the bottom of the blender to rest in.
I didn't get pics of the process but I pulled the blender motor apart and pressed the motor shaft off the armature. I cut the motor shaft down to fit the old weedeater's clutch output.