I decided upon myself to build this unique looking engine powered bmx. The total build time was approx 2 months. Here's what I did.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: The BMX
After some searching I came across this custom built frame on eBay for £235. I liked the look of it straight away and thought it would be perfect for what I wanted to do. The front suspension is very cool and looks like some sort of flexitor style suspension.
Step 2: Paint Job
Next was the paint job and as I'd spent so much on getting the bike I didn't want to fork out too much money for a professional spray so decided the best approach was to prime the frame with several coats of primer (red) and then spray paint over with several coats of the desired colour which ended up being black gloss for the forks and dark grey for the frame.
Step 3: Piecing Together
Once I'd sprayed the frame and forks I put the bike together with the mag wheels it came with and thought it looked rather cool! Shame I couldn't use the mags for the build so replaced them for 2 ordinary 36 spoke 20" rims. The rear rim needed to be able to fit 9 bolts through the spokes in order to fit the cog that comes with the kit also the chain tensioner was and still is quite difficult so I may even get rid of it as I have pretty perfect engine alignment.
Step 4: Engine Mounting
The engine mounting was rather difficult as I had very limited space in the frame and was very close to mounting it on the rear of the bike. The measurements were very precise. With a lot of manipulation to try and stop either pedal from hitting the sides of the engine and stopping me from ever being able to pedal if had to create my own way of bolting it to the frame which isn't exactly your standard frame for mounting these things. Steel plate with pre drilled hole and threaded rod and lock nuts were used.
Step 5: Mounting the Tank
This was an easy fit all I used was three blocks of wood to elevate the tank from the engine and because of the twin tubed frame this seemed to be the easiest option which was to simply strap the tank by using an old belt some screws and like I said three block of wood.
Step 6: Finishing
Throttle, clutch, muffler and electrics and it was finished.